Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 03-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
mitch_johnson

mitch_johnson is on a distinguished road
Angry How Do I Seperate Data From One Field Into Multiple Fields

Hello i am quite new to access i have been using it for a couple of months now and am getting the hang of it i dont know any VB code but i know all about how to put code in and how to use the properties window (i am using access 2007) what i want to do is as follows:
1. i have a magnetic card reader (KEYBOARD emulation input device) when i scan a card it displays data all in one place so on a card is the card number, the expiry date and start date so i would scan in like follows: 456798987898009009080911 with red being the card number, green the start date and blue the expiry what i want to do is be able to click a button and seperate the three pieces of data into seperate fields EG: card number (RED) into a field names card number ETC.... this is all in a form in access incase you were wondering please help i have looked everywere on the internet with no luck. thanks

mitch_johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
MSAccessRookie
AWF VIP

MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough
Re: How Do I Seperate Data From One Field Into Multiple Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_johnson View Post
Hello i am quite new to access i have been using it for a couple of months now and am getting the hang of it i dont know any VB code but i know all about how to put code in and how to use the properties window (i am using access 2007) what i want to do is as follows:
1. i have a magnetic card reader (KEYBOARD emulation input device) when i scan a card it displays data all in one place so on a card is the card number, the expiry date and start date so i would scan in like follows: 456798987898009009080911 with red being the card number, green the start date and blue the expiry what i want to do is be able to click a button and seperate the three pieces of data into seperate fields EG: card number (RED) into a field names card number ETC.... this is all in a form in access incase you were wondering please help i have looked everywere on the internet with no luck. thanks
As long as the string will have a fixed length and structure, Access has three built in Functions (Left(), Right(), and Mid()), that can help you to do what you want to do. Look them up and see if you can get them to work. Post back if you have any questions.

This forum is about taking the next step (or perhaps the next two steps) toward becoming a better Access programmer, and the AWF Forum Members will help you on your journey.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MSAccessRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
FoFa
Newly Registered User

FoFa is on a distinguished road

Where are you putting the values after you split it up?
If you populating 3 form fields, the easiest way would be VBA code. On the click event of your button, you would need something like this.
Assumptions form field AllNum = 456798987898009009080911
form field CardNum you want 4567989878980090 in
form field ExpireDate you want 0908
form field StartDate you want 0911

Me.CardNum = LEFT(Me.AllNum,16)
Me.ExpireDate = MID(me.AllNum,17,4)
Me.StartDate = RIGHT(Me.AllNum,4)

Old 03-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
mitch_johnson

Hi,

i get the basic idea of what you are saying would you mind just explaning in a little more deatils and add some step by step instructions thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
mitch_johnson

That works Perfectly thanks a lot
Old 03-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
boblarson
Smeghead

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,579 Posts
boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_johnson View Post
That works Perfectly thanks a lot
Mitch -

It would appear that you are very new to Access, so I have a few resources that you might like to make a note of and read when you can:

Normalization:
http://www.accessmvp.com/strive4peac...Chapter_03.pdf

Free Access Tutorials:
http://www.functionx.com/access/index.htm

"Quick Tutorials" (mostly screenshots with step-by-steps):
http://www.btabdevelopment.com/main/...5/Default.aspx

List of Access Reserved Words (words to not use as field and object names):
http://www.allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
boblarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access , access 2007 , data , forms , seperate

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: