Can an Append Query create new columns? (1 Viewer)

Rebel

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:26
Hi, everyone. I've been reading this forum for several days now and the information I have picked up here has been wonderful. Thanks. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for on a problem I'm having. I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to include as much information as possible. Thanks for taking the time to look at my problem.

My Background: I am a Computer Managed Maintenance System Planner for a foundry. I am responsible for the administration of all maintenance and repair records for the plant’s mobile equipment (dump trucks, fork lifts, etc.) I’ve been using Access as a report writer for several years. I have pretty good understanding of report writing and basic query writing, although I have never used pivot tables or crosstab queries, and I have only used amend/update queries a few times. I have a novice’s understanding of relational databases and I recently picked up a book on VB for MS Applications and have been devouring it. The rest of my limited VB knowledge comes from reading these forums, so my programming knowledge is still in its infancy.

What I’m Using: I am on a network that uses Windows 2K, to which I have only regular user privileges. We use an Oracle database (it is used for everything in the plant) with a third party CMMS. I use Access 2002 to do my report writing. I have a small database set up that contains links to the necessary tables in Oracle and a few tables I created to help “massage” my data for queries and reports.

My Problem: Our CMMS app is only set up to retain the current and the previous hour meter/mileage readings. I need to be able to retain all my hour/mileage readings, however, so that I can track up/down time, utilization, etc., over several different periods of time, including years.

What I Want To Be Able To Do: I want to archive my hour/cycle readings in a table so that I can reference them for later queries and reports. A couple of typical questions I want to be able to ask of this information are
1) “What was the last known hour/mileage reading for this/all equipment on <date>?”
2) “How many hours/miles have passed between <date1> and <date2>?”

What I Have Done So Far: I’ve done research into crosstab queries and pivot tables. I don’t fully understand these, but they don’t seem to be what I’m looking for. I could be wrong, though. Then I got to thinking that the easiest thing for me to do might be to make a button on my main form that would run a query to append the hour data from the db to a table I made to store the info (tblMeterArchive). The table would have a column for the Equipment# and then the append query would create a new column with today’s date as the heading and dump the data into it. The problem is I can’t figure out how to get a query to add a column to a table and stick today’s date in the heading. I’ve searched these forums and I’ve done a Google, to no avail. I have even taken time to just start going through every thread to see if this sort of thing has been discussed before. So far I haven’t found anything and my boss is getting a bit peeved at the hours I have spent working on this so far this week.

So, my question is can an append query create new columns in a table? Or, am I barking up the wrong the tree and there is a better/easier to accomplish my goals? Even a link or pointer to the proper way to search for the information I need would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at my problem.

D

DJN

An append query can't create a new field for you. I suggest you create a new field in you archive table, ArchiveDate. Set it to Date/Time and format as you want. In the main table, create a new field, ArchiveDate. Set that to Date/Time, same format. Now, in the Default value field put Date() Create your append query and test it. It should put the current date into the ArchiveDate field.

INSERT INTO tblMeterArchive ( EquipmentNo, ArchiveDate )
SELECT Main.EquipmentNo, Main.ArchiveDate
FROM Main;

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 21:26
What would you do after you reached the limit of 255 fields? ;)

Rebel

Registered User.
Local time
DJN said:
An append query can't create a new field for you. I suggest you create a new field in you archive table, ArchiveDate. Set it to Date/Time and format as you want. In the main table, create a new field, ArchiveDate. Set that to Date/Time, same format. Now, in the Default value field put Date() Create your append query and test it. It should put the current date into the ArchiveDate field.
Hmmm… If I understand you correctly, what you are saying is have tblMeterArchive with three fields (Equip#, MeterRead, ArchiveDate) and just keep tacking the new meter data onto it? For instance, this…

Equip# | MeterRead | ArchiveDate
12345 | 65.5 | 5/2/05
12346 | 1288 | 5/2/05
12347 | 65498 | 5/2/05

would become this…

Equip# | MeterRead | ArchiveDate
12345 | 65.5 | 5/2/05
12346 | 1288 | 5/2/05
12347 | 65498 | 5/2/05
12345 | 70.8 | 5/16/05
12346 | 1491 | 5/16/05
12347 | 65754 | 5/16/05

at the next archive point. Is that correct? I’ll try this out and see how it works for me. My only problem is that I am unable to add any fields to the main Oracle db. Should I just create another table in Access, or would it be better to do this within the query?

Thanks for your help.

DanG

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:26
Why not have 2 tables..
1. Equipment (eq description...)
2. EquipDetail (Meter info with date of read)

The 2 tables are linked by equip# then you just update table2 using rows instead of the limitation of fields.

Rebel

Registered User.
Local time
That's what I'm pretty much trying to do, Dan. The Oracle db where the original tables reside stores all the Equipment info in one table with a field for MeterReading (current reading) and LastRead (the reading before the current one). It only stores those two readings, but I want to keep all of the readings. I have no privilages to create or change tables in the Oracle db, so I need to extract the information into the Access db I have created on my machine.

Per DJN's suggestion I'm trying to get my db to do what you are talking about. I got the basic table and query set up, but I'm having trouble getting Date() entered into the ArchiveDate field. Unfortunately, I ran out of time Friday to finish it up, so it'll be back at 'er on Monday morn.

RV

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:26
It only stores those two readings, but I want to keep all of the readings.

It surely stores all the historical data and my guess is it actually uses 2 tables.
So why would you have to create your own tables in Access?
All you need is a report.
Have you checked whether the software comes with a standard report that matches your criteria?

RV

Rebel

Registered User.
Local time
RV said:
It surely stores all the historical data and my guess is it actually uses 2 tables.
Negatory, there, Rubber Duck. I can assure that it does not store any historical meter data. I just double checked with the admin.

RV said:
Have you checked whether the software comes with a standard report that matches your criteria?
Yes, I have; no, it doesn't.

Rebel

Registered User.
Local time
Success!

Well, after rasslin' with it all day today, I finally got the Archive table and base query set up to do what I want it to do. Eureka! The Archive table is holding all the meter readings and the Append query is adding all the new readings properly. Once my data was all installed I tried a cross-tab query (my first real foray into c-t queries, by the way) and it looks exactly as I want it to: a row for each equipment# and columns for each date with the meter reading in it.

My next step is to figure out all the possible ways to use this data and write up some reports to take advatage of it. Then I can make it all a little more sophisticated with its own form and some fancy buttons and combo boxes.

I would like to say a big hearty "Thank you!" to this board, which has given some wonderful insight into Access and VB in general; to everyone in this thread for asking questions and making suggestions; and especially to DJN for setting my feet on the right path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom