Elder Scrolls Online (2 Viewers)

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:40
Anybody else looking forward to this epic MMO? I can't be the only one excited for release day (or early access if you pre-ordered)! :D.

Let me know what you think!

Kliq

Local time
Today, 14:40
I played the beta and it's a little bit of a let down. I love the Elder Scrolls series and the combat in this game is quite awful. It feels sluggish and just down right ugly. I have thought pre-ordered to try it out a little more.

marot90

Registered User.
Local time
If you never played TES games before or dont have any expectations, it is fine. But for a TES MMO, it is really disappointing, since it really doest feel like Skyrim, Oblivion, or Morrowind

Ebweaver

Registered User.
Local time
I played the beta as well, it was alright. I just wish it wasn't $60 for the game plus $15 a month. Not worth it imo, anyone who has it - how is it?

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
I have it right now and I'm still enjoying it, honestly. I can see why people are bashing it... but not to the degree which they are as well.

It's a different MMO (and it obviously isn't going to be a carbon copy of Skyrim -.-) but it's still fun to play, imho.

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
My experience was as follows:

I was playing the beta.
I killed a wolf.
I looted a shield from this wolf.
I logged off.

Once seeing that I could loot a shield from a wolf, I knew the degree of effort the put into keeping keeping that elder scrolls feel lol.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 17:40
Finally gave this one a try. I HATE the mini-map, or rather lack of one. I try to play these games with friends and keeping track of everyone on this game is a nightmare since you have to pull up the full map to see where people are. The stupid compass is a joke. Mini-maps have been a staple for multi-player games long enough that this should not even be an issue.

DarioDes

Local time
I picked it up during the summer sales but I didn't have the chance to try it out yet. How do you like the game in general though? Is the player count healthy?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:40
Bluish Dan, getting a shield from an animal is a bit bizarre, but don't forget that you can get rings off of wolves in Skyrim. I have to presume that it happens if they decide the wolf has eaten the hand of someone wearing a ring, but the first time I got a ring from a wolf carcass, I admit it was a surprise.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Okay, Doc, somehow I didn't envision you playing Skyrim. Dunno why, it's not like I don't know any other retiree gamers.

And while shields dropping from wolves does seem a bit odd (just pretend it was tangled up in the thing), I've seen worse. Hell, games allow you to wear full suits of armor you took from other people, when the reality is that most armor, ESPECIALLY plate armor, had to be custom-fitted or else it would hinder you more than it would protect you. I won't even get into peeling armor off giants only to have it fit your gnome warrior perfectly. Giving up on a perfectly good game because a wolf had a shield as loot seems a bit...silly, but then, I've been playing MMOs off and on since EverQuest, which had far more blatant reality breaks than that.

As one of my best friends is a supervisor at ZeniMax, I'll check to see if wolves still drop shields, and if so, pass on Dan's complaint. I doubt it'll change much, but it's still something.

As to Skyrim, I ended up having to uninstall it. Half my mods switched to using SKSE-64, but the SKSE developer abandoned it while it was still at an alpha stage, making anything relying on it into a comedy of bugs. Shame, too, it was an entertaining game.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Frothy, I have played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim plus a gazillion other FPS RPG games. What I don't do is play anything that requires me to stay online. So no MMORPGs.

I really enjoyed Morrowind. Oblivion was nice but somewhat of a letdown somehow. But Skyrim is just flat out awesome. Their treatment of flowing water, environmental effects, and the incredibly good pseudo-random placement of vegetation makes the game better than most of the other games I have played.

The other games I have tackled in the last many years include the Witcher (and 2 and haven't gotten around to 3 just yet), Bioshock (and I have 2 but not loaded), Synchronicity, Fallout (1,2,3, New Vegas, and just loaded 4). Plus before that I was a Quake/Doom/Half Life/Unreal kind of guy. Plus the Mech Warrior stuff. Shooters all.

I use the games to work off aggression, as one might expect. I always look for something small, slow, dumb, and clumsy to shoot. But it could be worse. A dear friend of mine whom I have known since she was born (I introduced her parents to each other) now has MS. Her therapist asked what she did for fun. Her answer? Shooting chickens with lit dynamite up their butts at rednecks. Her therapist was shocked until my friend explained that it was the game Redneck Rampage. Who says gaming violence is all bad?

As to taking stuff off an enemy, at least in Skyrim I learned the Armorer skill so I can pretend that while I improve it, I can refit it.

mhorner

Registered User.
Local time
Pretty cool MMO, poor online play though I thought. Everybody basically zergs around in a mob of 100 people.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
My friend Jon was just telling me today how the game is incredible and so much better than it was at launch, and that I should buy a PS4 and join him.

Of course, he WORKS there, so his opinion isn't precisely what I'd call unbiased.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Also, I'm not sure I'm going to play Fallout 76. I really never cared for survival games, and in online survival games, you're either griefing or the griefer. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground there.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
@ Frothingslosh,

Are you sure its multi-player only? Though they billed it as "On your own OR with others". Hope they have a stand alone version.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
It's online-only, and you no option but to play on assorted servers with a few dozen others online. You can play without teaming up, but not in your own private world. Also, they've straight-up stated that going it alone is much, much harder than playing as part of a group, probably both because they've got monsters in the game that will require groups to take down, and because players WILL be coming to kill you and take all your stuff. There is no single-player campaign.

I guess you can at least ensure you and your friends play together when you're all online at the same time.

Apparently, your stuff is only there while you're online, but you still have to deal with a world where players can find nuke silos and actually drop a nuke right onto the base you've spent the last month building, so have fun with that.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Looks like I WON'T be getting it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Frothy,

I loved Fallout. I wasn't too keen on Fallout 2 for some reason, perhaps because one of the earliest quests is overmatched for a low-level player. However, I have enjoyed Fallout:BOS (aka Fallout Tactics).

Then Fallout 3 came out and I was blown away by the incredible graphics that make it easy to imagine you are picking your way through a post-nuclear nightmare. It becomes easy to see why folks SHOULD fear nuclear war. Fallout New Vegas was really good too.

Then I got Fallout 4 and like it but it doesn't have the same impact as Fallout 3 did. Or at least, not to me it didn't. It is more like Sim City where you get to create these little isolated settlements and then have to run around like a chicken with your head cut off to defend them. Sure, there are four factions you can choose to work with or against, and there are some pretty nice quest lines, but the settlement building aspect of the game makes me have to rethink its intent and genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom