Importing a table without knowing its name? (1 Viewer)

totempohl

Local time
Yesterday, 17:42
I figured out how to import a table using VBA like so:

Code:
Private Sub Command0_Click()
    Dim dr As String
    dr = Dir("F:\SomeFolder\*.mdb", vbDirectory)
    DoCmd.TransferDatabase acImport, "Microsoft Access", "F:\SomeFolder\" & dr, acTable, "Table", "Table2"

End Sub

This was just a test to see if I could get an import to work. My problem is that I have a lot of .mdb/.accdb files with similar tables that I need to add into one larger database and these similar tables could have different names in different folders. For example, a file named db1.mdb has a table named tbl. Another file named db2.mdb has a table with all of the same fields, but its called tabX. Furthermore, db2.mdb could even contain a second table that I need to import.

Sorry if that explanation was unnecessarily long. I'm only trying to be clear.

My question is:

Is there a way to simply import all the tables from an access database without knowing any table names using VBA?

Thank you for your time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TJPoorman

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not a hundred percent sure on the importable function, but I would imagine you could loop through all the tables in a database and import them based on the name. The following code is something I use to get all the table names for a particular database. Perhaps you could adapt this to do what you're looking for.

Code:
Private Sub GetDatabaseTables(strDatabase As String)
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim tdf As DAO.TableDef
Dim objAccess As Object
Dim strConnect As String

Set objAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application")
DoCmd.SetWarnings False

With objAccess
    .UserControl = False
    .OpenCurrentDatabase strFrontEndPath & strDatabase & ".accde"
   Set db = .CurrentDb
    For Each tdf In db.TableDefs
        If Left(tdf.Name, 4) = "msys" Then
            'skip these tables
        ElseIf Nz(tdf.Connect, "") = "" Then
            'these are local tables.  record them with the tag ***Local***
            DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO tblDatabaseTables ([Database], [TableName], [Connection]) " & _
                        "VALUES ('" & strDatabase & "', '" & tdf.Name & "', '***Local***')"
        ElseIf Left(tdf.Connect, 9) <> ";DATABASE" Then
            'these are not standard database connections so record the whole connect string
            DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO tblDatabaseTables ([Database], [TableName], [Connection]) " & _
                        "VALUES ('" & strDatabase & "', '" & tdf.Name & "', '" & tdf.Connect & "')"
        Else
            'these are standard database connections so record only the connected database
            strConnect = Mid(tdf.Connect, InStrRev(tdf.Connect, "\") + 1)
                        "VALUES ('" & strDatabase & "', '" & tdf.Name & "', '" & strConnect & "')"
        End If
    Next tdf
    .CloseCurrentDatabase
End With

DoCmd.SetWarnings True
Set objAccess = Nothing
End Sub

totempohl

Local time
Thank you so much for your reply, TJPoorMan. I definitely needed another perspective on this and I think I can make your solution work for what I need. I won't be able to try this out until tomorrow, but thank you once again for your help.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 16:42
There is some simpler code you could use - using DoCmd.TransferDatabase. This is a simple example which assumes you only have local tables in that database. But you can modify it to bypass other tables besides system if you need to.

Code:
Function GetDatabaseTables(strFileAndPath)
       Dim tdf As DAO.TableDef
       Dim db As DAO.Database

Set db = OpenDatabase(strFileAndPath)

For Each tdf In db.TableDefs
          If Left(tdf.Name, 4) <> "Msys" Then
             DoCmd.TransferDatabase acImport, "Microsoft Access", strFileAndPath, acTable, tdf.Name, tdf.Name

End If
     Next
       MsgBox "done"
End Function

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:42
to do what you are doing manually you need this amendment to your own code

Code:
Private Sub Command0_Click()
    Dim dr As String
    dim tb as string
 dim tb2 as string

dr = use_some_dialog_to_locate_the_file_you_want_to_upload
tb = use_some_code_to_determine_the_tablename_to_load
tb2 = use_some_code_to_determine_the_tablename_to_import_to

DoCmd.TransferDatabase acImport, "Microsoft Access",  dr, acTable, tb,  tb2    
End Sub

so it's a matter of taste, and testing to find the best way of capturing the filenames, and source and destination table names

totempohl

Local time
Thank you all for replying to my post so quickly. After figuring out how to search a folder and its subfolders for .mdb and .accdb files, I got around to actually importing tables from them. I ended up using a solution looking almost exactly like boblarson's and it works perfectly so far. Thanks again. I'm really glad I joined this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom