Database copy created automatically on open (1 Viewer)

constableparks

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:22
One of my co-workers is opening a database that several of us have access to. When he opens it, a copy of the database is immediately made in the folder. EG:
User double-clicks MyDatabase.accdb -- immediately, a copy is created in the same folder called MyDatabase1.accdb (without the user doing anything in the database). If he closes the database and opens the MyDatabase.accdb again, another copy is made called MyDatabase2.accdb and so on...

All other users can open and close MyDatabase.accdb without a copy being created. Any ideas?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:22
no ideas other than users should not be sharing a db in that way - it leads to corruption. So perhaps your db is corrupted and it manifests as you describe. Does this happen with other databases? If so, that implies there is some setting on the users machine - but I wouldn't have a clue what.

Suggest create a new blank db and copy all tables forms etc across. Then archive/delete to old db and rename the new one as its replacement. See if the problem persists.

However what you should have is each user has a front end on their local machine, linking to a tables only backend on the server.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:22
on the ball Paul:)

So a new default setting might be the problem, didn't even know there was such a setting

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:22
I heartily agree that the app should be split; I was overly focused on the copy bit, having just seen an email thread on the topic.

constableparks

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:22

Yes - this is it. The exact same thing happening to my co-worker. For those who want the short version:

This affects Windows 10 update 1809

If you right-click on the database, you have the "Open" option and the "New" option. Windows 10 update 1809 defaults to "New" rather than "Open" -- why, who knows?

For now, that user will have to right-click on the database and select "Open" until Microsoft gets this corrected.

Thanks pbaldy for the link!!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:22
Happy to help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom