Access 2016 - Form is rounding inputs (1 Viewer)

Balota

Local time
Yesterday, 21:18
After much hairpulling, I managed to figure out that both the table and the form need to agree on the format. I settled on Fixed format with 3 decimal places for the specific field I'm interested in. When I try to enter the molecular weight of methane (16.043) the form shows my input as 16.000. I cannot find any place on any Property sheet that allows me to select Single or Double precision, only the choices for Format: General Number, Fixed, Currency, etc.

How do I get Access to just take the value I enter and use it?

Balota

Local time
Sux getting old. Try never to do it.

My field was specified as Large Number. That's because when I tried Number, it wanted to use Long Integer. Finally figured out that I could change the Long Integer selection to Double. Duh.

But now my curiosity is getting the best of me. What the heck is a "Large Number"? Isn't a Double (10^308 or so) large enough?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:18
Integer types only store the integer value, no decimals. You might consider Currency or Decimal; Double is a floating point type and can have odd results, like 2+2 not = 4.

Balota

Local time
Understood. Just couldn't find the spot where I could change the Number from Long Integer to Double. Finally did find it. And Double is what I need for other reasons.

Any clue what "Large Number" is supposed to mean? Apparently it's an integer of some kind.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 03:18
Avoid using large number datatype unless you really need it.
It will prevent your database being opened in earlier versions of Access - anything other than 365 or 2019 won't accept it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom