Linked Combo Boxes with drop down lists. (1 Viewer)

knfruitbat

Local time
Today, 08:51
Hello.
1st post, so please be patience.
I have created two Drop Down Combo boxes on a form. I have link the first one to a table that has two columns that have repeated values in each column. So in the first box I have linked to select say country, and then I want the results in the second combo box to show only towns within that country. No free-typing allowed only select from the drop downs.
I have the first combo box working fine, it gives me a perfect concise list with no repeats (all in table does repeat multiple times), but the second combo box just keeps coming up blank. I have probably made it overly complicated by creating a second table with a unique identifier for each country, when I am really just interested in those two columns.
Just in case this matters, the towns aren't always unique. So for example we can have multiple entries for some countries, but others only one. But we also have towns that are the same in different countries. i.e Edmonton in Canada, and Edmonton in England.
Thanks for any help, hope this makes sense.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:51
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Try doing a search on Cascading Combobox.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:51
Further to that, if your data is like

Country | City
England | Edmonton
England | York
Canada| Edmonton
Canada | York

it wasn't the best way to set it up but you can still do cascading combos as suggested. You should not need the additional table though, whatever that looks like.

knfruitbat

Local time
Today, 08:51
Thanks.

It was me being a muppet! Wrong form name for the second combo box.

:banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom