DAO CurrentDB.OpenRecordset example (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 14:18
Set rstMisc = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset ' tough time finding a clear solution
The 4 fields in a form (connected to one table) are a disconnected dataset.
The table in this case has one record for each CustomerID the primary key or it has NO records for the CustomerID.
If there is a customerID - then just edit the record.
If there is no record with the customerID, then create the first record.

Key: The CurrentDB.OpenRecordset must be changed to add a new record
Then changed back to the edit only mode.
Otherwise an Object Variable not Set error appears

In this example:
Check to determine if a record exist for the primary key:
If not - fill the text boxes with blank
if yes - fill the text boxes with values from the table

A function returns a T/F to determine if a Record exist for the CustomerID
If a record exist, edit the field
Note: the user is asked "do you want to save" each time an individual record is changed
If YES - then just update all the fields included the changed field
if NO - go back to the record and repopulate the fields (i.e. undo)

If there is no record, this is the first record to be added and the OpenRecordset must change to be able to use the AddNew

One final note: The debug.print statements - Access 2007 will error when attempting to "step through" the Edit or Addnew process.
So, use Debug.print to see the progress.

Code:
[FONT=Calibri]Option Compare Database[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Option Explicit[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim dbMisc As dao.Database, rstMisc As dao.Recordset  ‘ Keep variables alive at form level[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim blSpudRecordExist             As Boolean                  ' flag - does record exist for disconnected recordset group (determins edit or append)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim txtSpudDateValue            As String[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim txtIPDateValue                   As String[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim txtcmpletiondateValue                             As String[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim ckbondReleaseValue                                As Integer[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim ControlName_Current                             As String                              debug[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim intID_Customer                                        As Integer                   ' hold the me.ID_Customer value - as variable – primary key for form[/FONT]
[B][FONT=Calibri]‘  When form loads – create Recordset and populate text boxes[/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Calibri]Private Sub Form_Load()   ‘' Create Disconnected Recordset that only responds to ID_Customer[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim SQLMisc                                      As String[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]On Error Resume Next[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]SQLMisc = "SELECT Customer_CompletionSpud.* FROM Customer_CompletionSpud " & _[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]          "WHERE (((Customer_CompletionSpud.ID_Customer)=" & Me!ID_Customer & "));"        ‘ ID_Customer  primary customerkey[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Set rstMisc = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(SQLMisc, dbOpenDynaset)                                     ‘ can edit but can’t append[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]   If ((SpudGroup_Exist_For_Customers(Me.ID_Customer)) And (rstMisc.Fields("Activity").Value = "A")) Then[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]       rstMisc.MoveFirst    ' ID_Customer is a primary key – no duplicates[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]       Me.txtSpudDate = rstMisc.Fields("dt_spud").Value                                                                                        ‘ Populate text boxes[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]       Me.txtIPDate = rstMisc.Fields("Dt_IP").Value[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]       Me.txtCompletionDate = rstMisc.Fields("Dt_compl_due").Value[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]       Me.ckBondRelease = rstMisc.Fields("Bond_Release").Value[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]   Else[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]       Me.txtSpudDate = ""                                                                                                            ‘ for primary key there may not be an associated record[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]       Me.txtIPDate = ""[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]       Me.txtCompletionDate = ""[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]       Me.ckBondRelease = ""[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]   End If[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]End Sub[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Function SpudGroupingLogic_LostFocus(ControlName As String)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]     On Error GoTo error_Trap[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]     ' Only bother user if something changed in the 3 data and 1 check box!  [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]     ‘ Business logic – if record exist – then edit, if no record exist create a new record[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]    ‘ in this case – the user is asked if they want to save (yes, no) on the lost focus of each field (It was a business requirement in this case).[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]     Dim FlagTextboxChanged                          As Boolean[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]     Dim ValueChangedAnswer      As Integer[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]     Dim SQLMisc                 As String[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]10    FlagTextboxChanged = False                     ' false until proven true[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]             ' The jury - if any changed, then set FlagTextboxChanged to true, otherwise leave false[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]20            If (txtSpudDateValue <> Me.txtSpudDate.Value) Then FlagTextboxChanged = True[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]30            If (txtIPDateValue <> Me.txtIPDate) Then FlagTextboxChanged = True[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]40            If (txtcmpletiondateValue <> Me.txtCompletionDate.Value) Then FlagTextboxChanged = True[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]50            If (ckbondReleaseValue <> Me.ckBondRelease.Value) Then FlagTextboxChanged = True[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]           ‘ Just tabbing through – no changes – if any one text box changed – then:         [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]60        If FlagTextboxChanged Then[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]70            Debug.Print " **** Change detected for control " & ControlName[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]80            ValueChangedAnswer = MsgBox("The value changed, Yes to save  or No to Undo", vbYesNo, "Verify Change")[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]90                If ValueChangedAnswer = vbYes Then[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]100                   If blSpudRecordExist Then                                                                      ‘ did a record already exist for this primary key?[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]                         Debug.Print " Begin Edit Mode   +++++++++++"[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]110                       rstMisc.Edit                     ' already a record – just edit it (and all the others while you are at it)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]120                           Debug.Print " Activate  Edit Mode   +++++++++++    Begin"[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]130                            rstMisc.Fields("dt_spud").Value = Me.txtSpudDate                         ‘ each text box written to field[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]140                            rstMisc.Fields("Dt_IP").Value = Me.txtIPDate[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]150                            rstMisc.Fields("Dt_compl_due").Value = Me.txtCompletionDate[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]160                            rstMisc.Fields("Bond_Release").Value = Me.ckBondRelease[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]180                       rstMisc.Update                                                                                                                                          ‘ update the edits[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]190             Else[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]195                       Set rstMisc = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Customer_CompletionSpud", , [B]dbAppendOnly[/B])  ' reset the recordset type[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]200                       rstMisc.AddNew                                                               ‘ this will error if record set not changed to dbAppendOnly[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]210                           Debug.Print " Addnew Mode   &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&" & Err.Number[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]220                            rstMisc.Fields("ID_Customer").Value = Forms!home_2!lst_id_Customer ' If other part of form is null the txtCustomers_Id is null[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]230                            rstMisc.Fields("dt_spud").Value = Me.txtSpudDate[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]240                            rstMisc.Fields("Dt_IP").Value = Me.txtIPDate[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]250                            rstMisc.Fields("Dt_compl_due").Value = Me.txtCompletionDate[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]260                            rstMisc.Fields("Bond_Release").Value = Me.ckBondRelease[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]270                       rstMisc.Update                                          ‘ Completed update[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]271                       SQLMisc = "SELECT Customer_CompletionSpud.* FROM Customer_CompletionSpud " & _[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]                                   "WHERE (((Customer_CompletionSpud.ID_Customer)=" & Me!ID_Customer & "));"[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]                         Set rstMisc = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(SQLMisc, dbOpenDynaset)  ' back to original edit mode[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]                                               ‘ Important – reset back to original edit mode[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]280                   End If[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]290               Else                                ‘ user chose NO (or add some error trap code to set back to orginal)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]300                       Me.txtSpudDate.Value = txtSpudDateValue[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]310                       Me.txtIPDate = txtIPDateValue[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]320                       Me.txtCompletionDate.Value = txtcmpletiondateValue[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]330                       Me.ckBondRelease.Value = ckbondReleaseValue[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]340               End If[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]350           FlagTextboxChanged = False             ' either updated or cancel completed - set flag back to false[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]360       Else[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]370           Debug.Print " XXXX No change detected for control " & ControlName[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]380       End If[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]error_Trap:[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]   If Err.Number > 1 Then Debug.Print Err.Description & " err on edit"[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]End Function[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]‘ custom Function to determine if Record Exist – if exist then edit, if not exist then create a new record[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Function SpudGroup_Exist_For_Customers(ID_Customers As Integer) As Boolean[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]         Dim intSpudGroup_Records_For_Customers                       As Integer[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]         Dim SpudGroup_Records                                                            As dao.Recordset[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]         Dim strSQL                                                                                            As String[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]10        On Error GoTo PROC_ERROR[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]20        SpudGroup_Exist_For_Customers = False                ' Assumes False until proven True[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]30       ' SpudGroup Sundries Spud - located in two tables - if a record exist in either one return True[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]476            strSQL = "SELECT Customer_CompletionSpud.ID_Customer FROM Customer_CompletionSpud WHERE (((Customer_CompletionSpud.ID_Customer)=" & ID_Customers & "));"[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]480           Set SpudGroup_Records = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenDynaset) ' found dynaset faster than snapshot[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]                 If SpudGroup_Records.RecordCount > 0 Then                            'it is set to false - if record count is > 0 then it is true[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]490           SpudGroup_Records.MoveLast                                         ' this errors if recordcount is zero only saves 10 seconds if commented out[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]500           If Not IsNull(SpudGroup_Records.RecordCount) Then[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]520                 intSpudGroup_Records_For_Customers = SpudGroup_Records.RecordCount[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]540           Else[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]550                 MsgBox "Problem with SpudGroup_Exist_For_Customers  function", vbOKOnly, "Make a note"[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]560                 Err.Raise 2323, "Function SpudGroup_Exist_For_Customers", "Record count returned null"[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]570           End If[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]600           If intSpudGroup_Records_For_Customers > 0 Then[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]610             SpudGroup_Exist_For_Customers = True[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]620           Else[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]630             SpudGroup_Exist_For_Customers = False[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]650           End If[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]           End If[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]PROC_EXIT:[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]1390      On Error Resume Next[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]         Set SpudGroup_Records = Nothing[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]1420      Exit Function[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]PROC_ERROR:[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]1430      Select Case Err.Number[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]             'Case ###[/FONT]