RecordSource from 2 tables (1 Viewer)

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Today, 17:30
Hi Folks

A quickie i hope :). I have 2 tables eg Tbl1 & Tbl2, both having a similar / same LinkIDFld. I would like to UNION them to be the recordsource of FormTarget. How should the recordsource string be?

I have a few scattered fields in this FormTarget that is from another Table eg tbl3. How then should the ControlSource since the recordSource in this form does not include Tbl3; ... or unless i too UNION to Tbl1 & Tb2. However my mental block is Tbl3 does not have a field LinkIDFld.

That's it, ;)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:30
A UNION query only uses the field names from the first subquery. The original field names in the subsequent subqueries are ignored.

BTW Best use UNION ALL. This saves time by not checking for duplicates which is done with a plain UNION.

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
How to UNION ALL? How does it go with JOINS?
BTW does a UNION whatever allows select of fields, i think it do, right?

Friend a bit more singing from Down Under! Thanks always.

PS: If you are busy, i just look up at W3School. Cheerio!

Last edited:

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:30
Something like:

SELECT fieldnames, "T1" AS Source FROM table1
UNION ALL SELECT fieldnames, "T2" FROM table2;

You can build another query that joins the UNION query to another table. Or each SELECT line in the UNION can include a JOIN with another table.

Either way, the resulting query will not be editable. So why do you want to do this on a form?

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
June Thanks

I thought i got the it spot on but i was wrong. I have fair experience to use JOIN (INNER & OUTER) and that is editable.

In my UNION ALL query this message pops up "Union number of columns don't match". Is this a condition?

And again, if the UNION ALL is a recordsource of a form, can the fields in the form editable?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:30
The number of columns (fields) and the datatype of the corresponding columns must match.

Union is not editable.

Sounds like you need to change the table structure to get both into one table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom