Use the wizards (1 Viewer)

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 12:13
I left this site in 2007 and have just returned and have noticed that a lot of posters would not have had the problems the did have if they had turned the wizard on.

I've been working with access for neally 20 years with a few breaks for mysql/php etc

It's stange they way things have changed I having to play catchup myself with some things but people help yourselfs use the wizards esp if you have very little experiance as access shines there if you let it help you.

Rant over lol

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Wizards can indeed be useful, particularly for new users of Access.
However they can also produce their own issues.

For example, forms/reports created using wizards constrain all controls using 'invisible' layout guides. These can cause significant issues if the user then wants to add/remove controls later as the layout seems to have a mind of its own.

Similarly, Access defaults to the use of embedded macros and tabbed documents. I don't find either of these helpful though others will disagree.

In fact when creating a new database, the first things I change in Access options are to use overlapping windows and tick 'always use event procedures'

Dreamweaver

Local time
I do the same I dont use wizards for forms or reports I was just talking about combo boxes, option groups I should have been more specific sorry live and learn lol

I hate the snap to grid as well as macros lol

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I must admit, the wizard for the report is nice UNTIL you come to add another control.
I have had great difficulty trying to match up a newly added control to those generated mainly in the titles and lines between controls.

For forms I find the wizard good for at least putting everything on, and then I rearrange to suit.
I have no objection to a macro for closing a form when using the wizard, or something equally simple, but for everything else, I will use VBA, even if I do not know what I need in the way of code. :D A quick Google often helps.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:13
I recall that there is a way to remove all layouts without losing the controls associated with them. So while I don't keep layouts, I don't hate them.

My approach is that you can use a wizard to put up the scaffolding and to get the facade of your app presentable. Then go back and customize by adding more detailed error handling, auditing, logging, etc. because the wizard never gets it 100% right. They only do the minimum required to get things going in the direction that you specify.

Wizards are often dumber than a box of rocks, but I have never seen a wizard do something that was flat-out wrong. With the possible exception of Report Layouts, which are just SO wrong. {mind wanders to scene from Galaxy Quest where Tech Sergeant Chen makes out with alien while Guy looks on and says "That's not right."}

Dreamweaver

Local time
With the possible exception of Report Layouts, which are just SO wrong. {mind wanders to scene from Galaxy Quest where Tech Sergeant Chen makes out with alien while Guy looks on and says "That's not right."}

PMSL I totally agree there.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:13
The report wizard can add fundamental elements to a report that some users might have trouble with. Headers and footers might seem obvious to most but, what about page headers? Summing and grouping is another place where the wizard might shine. Formatting a report can be time consuming, the wizard automates that.

You still have to tweak a wizard created report but at least it has good bones.

Another issue people seem to have with wizards is they leave that pesky layout formatting on forms and reports. Layouts can be removed by right clicking on the control, and removing the layout feature. The result could be a good starting point. The label and controls are aligned and formatted.

Open any modern template from Microsoft Access and you will find wizard created reports and forms, not to mention macros. I assume the people who have templates accepted and packaged with Access are talented people who don't need to use macros to prove any point.

These features are neither good nor bad, just tools in a tool box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom