Novice - Which way to turn (1 Viewer)

SHREK288

Local time
Today, 13:48
Hi All,
forgive the utter NOVICE ...Not been here for awhile (2013 The last big database i created). But having not been in the access world for so long i have forgotten some of logical steps i want to take to create my next major DB.

I want to create an "Engineering shift report" where i will record the events that occur during a shift. E.g shift "A" worked today and recorded 20 engineering events.
I have tables for people, equipment references , dates etc. Very easy there. I then want to create a "ShiftReport" master table but without making each entry huge with say 50 event entries per shift. I thought about creating an seperate event table where i can log as many or as few entries as needed. Where i stumble is what to use next, Sub Form , Sub Table or make the Shift report table Huge ? or is there a better way My 1st attempt looked ok (Sub Table in a form) but the entries weren't unique to the master table. And now i am a little stumped as to which works best.
Any advice most welcome..

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 09:48
basically, just 1 table, tLogs, (or your name here)

shift, personID, EVent, EventDate

(note EventDate is date and time)
then you can sum up events by the date, hour, by person, by Shift.

and you could have tShifts table:
Shift, StartTime, EndTime
A, 8am, 5pm
B, 5pm, 1am

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:48
the entries weren't unique to the master table

You assure that they ARE by proper use of keys - with the shift having a "master shift" key and the event having a separate key that is either unique (autonumbered) across all events, or you generate a key that is unique per shift. Then make the event table have BOTH keys as a Compound Primary Key.

Or did I misunderstand your comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom