How Too (1 Viewer)

Fusionworks1

Local time
Today, 08:06
First I am low level Access user. But I am sure I came to the right place. Here is my challenge.
I have a table that has asset, parts., location and area. In the table I have a location ie. TO-A I also have a lookup drop down to select a certain area ie Toronto. all within a the table. What I want to try and do is when Toronto is selected (and there are numerous area's and location) I would like to pop a window in a form with a legend that is associated with the area explaining what the location refers to. ie I have just selected Toronto TO-A is the location in downtown Toronto. If another area is selected a different legend pops up. This legend is to be invisible until the area is selected and goes away when focus is lost.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:06
You have a table that has asset, parts., location and area. But you haven't given us a description of what this is for. That is, in simple, plain English what is the "business" that inspired you to create such a table?

Might be best to give us a clear description of "a day at my work".

Good luck and welcome to the forum. You can show us some of your data/set up if you attach it to your post in zip format.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:06
If the descriptions are in the same table you can use this:

http://www.baldyweb.com/Autofill.htm

to populate a hidden textbox with the related description. Make that textbox visible in the after update event of the combo, hide it in the lost focus event.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:06
Welcome to the forum
Sorry to say I'm not going to answer your question as such but instead to urge you to get rid of table level lookups as these cause issues for developers.
For an explanation please see the evils of lookup fields in tables.

It's late here in the UK but I expect someone else will explain better ways of doing this e.g. using a form and subform

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:06
Using the Search feature of this forum, look up "Cascading Combo Boxes" which is the way to approach the problem you have. "Search" is in the thin blue ribbon near the top of the form. The left-most option is "User CP" and the "Search" option is 3rd from the right on that same ribbon.

Ditch the lookup fields. Split the choices into separate tables that you would be able to use in a form for lookups. They might look all neat and shiny but when you lift up the hood, they are exceedingly messy to manage. And trust me, as you gain confidence in what you are doing, you WILL eventually "lift up the hood" on your DB.

Fusionworks1

Local time
So I tried the combo box. It sort of worked. I used the box with a query that links two tables with the common field. I used the join property to #2.
The problem is when I select the dropdown from the asset form and enter in my query (test) it lists all the associated data but when I select one the test, the rest of the data is not displayed with the test field. I have attached the accdb. Feel free to edit if you can solve, send back to me thanks.

Attachments

• Test.accdb
    960 KB · Views: 81

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:06
I don't quite understand what you're trying to do here
First remove the parameters from the combo row source so users can select from the list of available items
After that ... depends on what you are trying to do!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:06
If you mean the combo from post 3, you'd need a textbox with a control source of

=[Combo35].[column](2)

You also need to add the ID column, as area isn't unique. Add it as the first column, adjust the column count and widths appropriately and give it a try.

Fusionworks1

Local time
mike60 smart
could email that zip file to fusionworks1 yahoo.ca. My company blocks zip files too much a hassle to get them to scan it. Add the @ sign between 1 and yahoo Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom