Creating a conditional format in a report with Expr1 (1 Viewer)

corbimae

Local time
Yesterday, 22:50
I'm trying to get a cell to highlight in a Report. On the Name and Source I see Expr1, Expr2 and so on. The numbers are being pulled from a Query whose data is obtained with a calculated control. [Obstetrics This Midnight] + [Obstetrics OPO Midnight] + [OB Same Day Stay]. On the report, I want the cells to highlight where the OB Same Day Stay is >0. Any suggestions? I'm not terribly familiar with code writing so be kind...:)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No code necessary. Check out Conditional Formatting on the ribbon (or Format/Conditional Formatting pre 2007).

corbimae

Local time
actually I did go into conditional formating. I can get the entire column to highlight if I key in something like ([Obstetrics Same Day Stay] >0) Out of 31 days in October our OB department only had 1 Same day stay and that was 10/3. What I'd like to happen to only have that day highlighted. I read where I needed to change the name to something other than the established control or field but that didn't work either. When I pull up the property sheet the Name is Expr1 and the Source is Expr1. It doesn't list the entire equation. That being the case, can Access still see if the Same Day value is greater than 0? Actually it's not jut the OB department that I need to set up. It's also Medical, Surgical, ICU, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The control in the Query is the one I listed in the original post. Also in the conditional formatting I used the first condition to define the control, then the second condition was to select the control from the Daily Census Report Table and then the third condition was ([OB SD] >0). Everything I've tried has been either the entire column has been highlighted or none of its been highlighted.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Can you post the db here?

corbimae

Local time
I don't have the db here so I will try to do it tomorrow when I finish with patients.

corbimae

Local time
I Think its attached.

Attachments

• New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip
    232.3 KB · Views: 101

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm not really clear on the required condition, as all the values in that column are >0, but see if the attached gets you anywhere.

Attachments

• CF.jpg
    CF.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 120

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Wait, I think I see now. Add the [OB SD] field to the query and then use this condition:

[ob sd]>0

You got prompted for it before because it wasn't a field in the query.

fmargara

Local time
Today, 00:50
Hello. I asked this question in an old thread with no response.
I am trying to get duplicate names to highlight in my report also. I can't get it to work. We have Access 2010 now. I am using this expression in the conditional fromatting;

Nz(DCount("*","Formal Training Information 2 Query","[Name]='"&[Name]&"'"),0)>1

Am i missing something? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

corbimae

Local time
Thanks Paul, I'm still battling this thing. I know its some little something that I've missed...I finally understood the necessity of renaming the control and how not doing so can cause the Enter Parameter prompt. I renamed my controls by adding txt to the beginning as I read something about that on a Help article. I then went back through each Control Source and using the Expression Builder confirmed that I was using the Control from the Original Query and Not the new control names. Still when I go back in and enter the [OB SD]>0 I get something but a parameter prompt. Any other suggestions? BTW I do appreciate your help.

corbimae

Local time
The report is being created by Access using the original query. In the Query pane the Expression reads as follows: Expr4:[Daily Census Report].[Obstetrics This Midnight]+[Obstetrics OPO Midnight]+[OB SD] (syntax may be wrong but you get the gist). To get the report I highlighted the query title in the Menu and then using the Create ribbon I click report. From there Access is creating the report and the property control source is simply Expr4. I renamed the control to txtExpr4 and left the Control source as Expr4. The Record Source says Monthly Tally for Mr Gambrell which is the name of the query. If I go into conditional formatting and use Expression Is: [Expr4] and ask it to highlight yellow Access Reads the Expression as True lights up the column. I did this as a test to make sure that it did recognize the original control. My next test was to elminate the yellow background for [Expr4] and add a second condition that was Expression Is [OB SD]>0. When I do that it leaves the background white and it asks for a parameter value when I open and close the report. I have also tried to write out the entire expression for the control property but when I close and re-open the report I still get the Parameter prompt. I guess the answer to your qustion of did I add [OB SD]>0 to the query is yes. This would probably be simpler if I just created my own report but it maddens me that I can't figure this out. I've read so many articles on conditional formatting that they're starting to run together. Somewhere in the programming where Access converts the query into a report there is some change that I can't see. If it recognizes the Expr4 then logically it should understand the calculation it defines. However, if I write out the Expression on the control source it asks for parameter value. At one point, I wondered if Access had changed something on the Record Source but everytime I check it just says Record Source: Monthly Tally for Mr Gambrell. It's very frustrating

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The query returns a field named Expr4 to the report. The [OB SD] field needs to be added as a field by itself so the report can use it.

fmargara

Local time
Today, 00:50
Hello. I asked this question in an old thread with no response.
I am trying to get duplicate names to highlight in my report also. I can't get it to work. We have Access 2010 now. I am using this expression in the conditional fromatting;

Nz(DCount("*","Formal Training Information 2 Query","[Name]='"&[Name]&"'"),0)>1

Am i missing something? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom