checkbox value -1 vba (1 Viewer)

aman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:06
Hi guys

I have couple of checkboxes on my form. When the button is clicked I want to display the values in them. They are showing -1 or null but just wondering it should show 1,0 or true or false.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 15:06
Checkboxes on a form can be null. You should code such that those checkboxes are not null. You accomplish this by setting a default value to them.

As for why -1 is True and 0 is false, you can search this forum for lengthy, boring discussions with each new poster trying to outdo the others with their knowledge. I advise you to just accept that's the way the world works and know that -1 is true and 0 is false.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:06
"As for why -1 is True and 0 is false..."

Yes, for binary but any value other than -1 is true in logic operations.

However, check boxes can hold values other than 0, null or -1. I found this out some years ago doing some enhancement work on a database I had not created where an unbound check box was being used to store a date and it showed on the form as being checked. Go figure why it was done this way.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Cronk, I think any other value than 0 is TRUE. You said it backwards.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As for why -1 is True and 0 is false, you can search this forum for lengthy, boring discussions with each new poster trying to outdo the others with their knowledge. I advise you to just accept that's the way the world works and know that -1 is true and 0 is false.

This is one of the threads plog refers to.

Personally I found it quite interesting but then I am a curious person and like to understand what is behind things. Moreover I consider it sharing knowledge rather than a competition.

Anyone who bothered to take the time to understand would see that my explanation in post 9 of that thread actually does comprehensively explain why negative one is used for True.

Orthodox Dave

Home Developer
Local time
Today, 21:06
If you really must show something on your form other than a tick in a box, you could

1. In your main table, change the yes/no field type to Byte.

2. On your form put a combo or list box with a VALUE LIST of 2 columns, with a row source such as:
0;"Not as Such";1;"Yes Definitely" [Don't use -1 as the Byte type won't accept it]

3. The bound column is column 1 and its column width is 0", so the 2nd column is displayed.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Doc

Your comment "any other value than 0 is TRUE". Seems any value other than -1 equates to false.

? (1 = true)
False

? (0 = true)
False

? (-1 = true)
True

? (-1.1 = true)
False

Glaxiom, you refer to your post that "True is determined as Not 0"
In fact (Not anything) except (Not -1) is true

Last edited:

static

Registered User.
Local time
Debug.Print CBool(1)
Debug.Print CBool(0)
Debug.Print CBool(-1)
Debug.Print CBool(-1.1)
Debug.Print CBool("true")
Debug.Print CBool("false")
Debug.Print CBool("yes") ' err 13
Debug.Print CBool("no") ' err 13

¬_¬

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Cronk: Remember that constant name "TRUE" is -1 and "FALSE" is 0, and ALSO remember that for expressions to be evaluated, automatic promotion occurs to force compatibility for the subsequent comparison.

? (1 = true)
False
because 1 is not equal to -1.

? (0 = true)
False
because 0 is not equal to -1.

? (-1 = true)
True
because -1 IS equal to -1.

? (-1.1 = true)
False
because -1.1, being at least a SINGLE, requires conversion of -1 to -1.0, which is NOT equal to -1.1.

Static was doing this the other way - taking the constants and converting them to their Boolean values to see how they react. In other words, you were doing things in a way to allow typecasting to higher types; he was testing in a way that forced typecasting to lower types.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Just posting back to let everyone know I'm not one of those people who is above saying 'I told you so':

I told you so.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just posting back to let everyone know I'm not one of those people who is above saying 'I told you so':

I told you so.

Using frothingsloth's approach I'd like to say
"Game, set & match to Plog"

Somehow I expect this will go on and on ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom