RIP Dr John (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:06
Thanks, Gent. I was toying with whether to post this and you beat me to it. However, we lost him a couple of days ago.

Farewell to Malcolm John Rebennac Jr. a.k.a. Mac Rebennac a.k.a. Dr. John, a true New Orleans treasure. I met him once before he was famous and before he started using "Dr. John." He and I were in the same music store buying keyboard music books. (The music store is no longer there, sadly.) Didn't get a chance to talk much though. More like a "Hi, how are you?" conversation.

ADDENDUM: A lot of YouTube posts are popping up regarding him and his music. For example:

https://youtu.be/HT4RainY-lY?list=RDHT4RainY-lY

For this one, the comments are of the general form "Looks like he will finally get to the right place but for us it is certainly the wrong time."

We lost two important New Orleanians in the last week or so. Dr. John, of a heart attack at age 77, and earlier we lost Leah Chase, a James Beard award winner who taught two generations of New Orleans chefs about creole cuisine. She died of age-related issues at about 95.

Many presidents visiting New Orleans would eat at "Dookey Chase's Restaurant", named after Leah's husband's nickname. She was feisty and wasn't afraid to speak her mind. Including the day when Barack Obama tried her seafood gumbo recipe. Afterwards, with more than a minor touch of indignation, she reported that he had DARED to add a dash of tabasco sauce to her gumbo.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 07:06
Truth be told Doc, I posted that to “bring you out” and say your piece. Glad you did not disappoint!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom