How much focusing on yourself? (1 Viewer)

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:38
Anyone see the Movie BowFinger ? Eddie Murphy got support from his Mind Head group.
Nope not seen it. Is it any good? What year?

Deviating from the topic of this thread a little. :eek:

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:38
If you see the movie you will see how Hollywood people focus on them selves. A view of the movie world through Steve Martins eyes with good acting by Eddie Murphy (instead of what he has done more recently)

1999 Universal Studios. 820 392 1
Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy.

Eddie has self esteem issues and resorts to his Religion - Mind Head - to get help.
Steve is a hack director and makes a movie on a LOW budget.

One scene, he is telling his crew "how we will know when we have made it and by we I mean me"

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I have, and continue to suffer from, severe low-self esteem (that's not new to me). And that is no joke. :(
Bob, you need to reread the many positive posts we made when you left this site temporarily to realise the high regard many of us here hold you in. I suspect that even the people here you regard as hostile have a higher regard for your technical skills than you realise

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 14:38
Bob, you need to reread the many positive posts we made when you left this site temporarily to realise the high regard many of us here hold you in. I suspect that even the people here you regard as hostile have a higher regard for your technical skills than you realise
this makes me wonder bob. has anything useful come out of this site for you? I mean getting paid (except for being a moderator of course)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 12:38
this makes me wonder bob. has anything useful come out of this site for you? I mean getting paid (except for being a moderator of course)

I get a lot out of it. Over the 9½ years I have been on this board, I have learned a lot about Access (and continue to do so). Back in 1997 when I first got exposed to Access at work, I started liking it a bunch. So I found this forum and started hanging out reading posts, subscribing to those I wanted the answers to, and soaking it in. I didn't make many posts myself for quite a while as I found I could use the search facility and find what I needed or I could subscribe to a question someone else was asking about the same thing and get my answer. Then I started answering a few posts here and there and sometimes stopping posting for a while when I got thoroughly embarrassed by Pat Hartman's response to my response to a question and I realized how little I really knew. But I kept on.

Then about 4 or 5 years ago, the light bulb came on and then I started posting up a storm. I get a kick out of helping people get to the answer and I think that is my main thing I get out of this. It is getting to help someone who was where I was get to a point of understanding. So I keep doing it.

I have somewhat toned it down as I had gotten totally addicted to it. I started posting anywhere I could find and taking all of my time up. So that is when I stepped away from it all for 2 months. And then I'm back, and I had started posting a bit again at Utter Access too, but have not been back there since April 26th when I decided to just focus my energies here. I like it here, I "grew up" on Access here and I do like it. So, I am now not posting so much (although sometimes it probably doesn't seem like it to some of you :D) and I am fine with that.

And Rabbie: I did like seeing the comments that most people had. It was nice. I know I rubbed several here the wrong way and hopefully I have learned from my mistakes (although I do still make them) and can always get better.

As for self-esteem, I have had issues with that from the time I was a small child and it is a fight each day to try to not slip back into that. It isn't as bad as it was when I was in high school, but I can't say that I don't still fight those feelings because they do show up (and show up at the most inopportune times).

Thanks guys (and gals)!

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
OK folks...I'd like to know how much self recognition is too much? How long do I talk about myself in front of another person before they think I'm conceited? I'm finding it a bit difficult to realize who the real friends are in this world anymore. Anyone else get that too?

I've just run into too many people that apparently have hidden agendas on their minds. :rolleyes: That's a great way to corrupt our youth

If you weren't so vain it wouldn't bother you in the slightest:rolleyes:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
My career path is diverse, long and winding also. I suppose it is good for some people to spend the time they use to make a living doing the same thing over and over. A lot of people stay in a single job and do not realise that they are entrenched and not moving forward. I just see that as stagnant rather then taking on challenges.

Nope, probably has to do with ME. :D Just since 1996 I've been a

1. Manufacturing Engineer Planner
2. Accountant
3. Financial Analyst
4. Administrative Analyst
5. Computer Tech Support and Software Trainer
6. Systems Analyst
7. Access Developer

(I fear I'm not finished with that list :) )

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Back to he original question posted...
Face to face it is easy to tell if you are getting to the point of over focussing on yourself. Body language and reaction of the person you are talking to will make it evident. Most people prefer to talk about their selves and have a ready listener, which is fine in most cases as long as they have something to say and not just want to say something.
Online is different because there is no direct feedback unless you are on live messaging, on places like here it is hard to gauge as quickly if you have centered it too much on yourself.

OK folks...I'd like to know how much self recognition is too much? How long do I talk about myself in front of another person before they think I'm conceited? I'm finding it a bit difficult to realize who the real friends are in this world anymore. Anyone else get that too?

I've just run into too many people that apparently have hidden agendas on their minds. :rolleyes: That's a great way to corrupt our youth

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
My career path is diverse, long and winding also. I suppose it is good for some people to spend the time they use to make a living doing the same thing over and over. A lot of people stay in a single job and do not realise that they are entrenched and not moving forward. I just see that as stagnant rather then taking on challenges.

I agree 50. Sometimes life can take you is the complete opposite direction, you may find your way back to the beginning at the end, but that's what journeys are all about. Reminds me of a software company I worked for where they had people with degrees in Russian; Business Studies; Communications; Art and one person with a degree in Computer Sciences, when I started there and realised the diversity I got nervous, but that company is now worth millions.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Amazing that you mention Russian and cycles as there recent R&D opportunities that opened in Russia with projected potential over 30 billion USD in the next 5 years. Good gig if you are mobile and have credentials to get you into that part of technology.

I agree 50. Sometimes life can take you is the complete opposite direction, you may find your way back to the beginning at the end, but that's what journeys are all about. Reminds me of a software company I worked for where they had people with degrees in Russian; Business Studies; Communications; Art and one person with a degree in Computer Sciences, when I started there and realised the diversity I got nervous, but that company is now worth millions.

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
I think it is OK to talk about yourself as long as:

1. You don't do it in the third person
2. You don't talk to yourself about yourself while others are present
3. There are no policement present

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 15:38
Crazy? We're not crazy... we just just need... my PRECIOUS!

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
IS THAT LIKE A SQUAD OF policemen?

I see that rascal is still running around adding spurious "t"s to my posts again. Someday I shall catch her/him/it and de-t-ify the scoundrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom