Characterize Republicans/Democrats (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 18:50
Herblock, a famous cartoonist drew a cartoon many years ago demonstrating the difference between a democratic presidential candidate (?) and the republican candidate (?). In that cartoon, both the republican and democratic candidates are each in a separate limousine running over the American public. The difference, the democratic candidate is actually driving the limo over the American people while the republican has a chauffeur doing the driving.

My take on the Republican Party is that it is devoid of any moral constraints that has been adequately portrayed in the cartoons of cigar smoking self-dealing tycoons making deals in the smoke-filled back room.

But what of the Democrats? For some reason, I have yet to develop a clear cartoon image of the Democratic Party. A possible image, a generic ornate Roman Caesar on a pedestal passing out "free" money to the unthinking cheering adoring unwashed masses?

Adam Caramon

Local time
Re: Characterize Republicans/Democrates

My take on the Republican Party is that it is devoid of any moral constraints that has been adequately portrayed in the cartoons of cigar smoking self-dealing tycoons making deals in the smoke-filled back room.

I wouldn't say they are devoid of any moral constraints, I'd say they have a very narrow and skewed vision of morality.

But what of the Democrats? For some reason, I have yet to develop a clear cartoon image of the Democratic Party.

I'd say Robin Hood. Taking away from the rich and giving to the poor.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time

What it really comes down to is that America was never meant to have a "party" system. These two parties have grown too large for their own good. They also follow their own parties, and the companies that sponser said parties because we all know it's really corporate America that runs this country, not us, to the "T" and barely think for themselves or for the people who elected them. Americans need to wake up and realize that if we keep voting in these corporate lackies, we'll keep having decisions made based on what's better for those businesses, not for us. It's time to start thinking independent, or at least a smaller party. Stop being sheep people!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:50
I agree Vassago. Everybody gets distracted by the Rep/Dem debate, and doesn't realize they're just two sides of the same coin.

Adam, can I assume you define "rich" as anybody self-reliant enough to have a job? I think the Robin Hood analogy is probably how Democrats view themselves, through their rose-colored glasses. I'm far from rich, and they're definitely stealing from me.

Adam Caramon

Local time
Adam, can I assume you define "rich" as anybody self-reliant enough to have a job? I think the Robin Hood analogy is probably how Democrats view themselves, through their rose-colored glasses. I'm far from rich, and they're definitely stealing from me.

No, I have a job and I am not rich. Rich people can afford to go to a university without school loans. Rich people have more cars than they have drivers. Rich people have multiple homes. Rich people have stock brokers.

I think the government put out a stat of $250,000+/year as rich, I'd say from my own perspective that $100,000+/year is rich. I know that if I personally made $100,000/year I'd feel rich.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 15:50
Politics: The fine art of striking a balance between doing outrageous acts and being the lesser of two evils.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 17:50
No, I have a job and I am not rich. Rich people can afford to go to a university without school loans. Rich people have more cars than they have drivers. Rich people have multiple homes. Rich people have stock brokers.

I think the government put out a stat of $250,000+/year as rich, I'd say from my own perspective that $100,000+/year is rich. I know that if I personally made $100,000/year I'd feel rich.

Go to Africa or other places like it and even we, the middle class, are rich. :)

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time

Spoken like a person who has never yet seen half of that amount as an annual salary.

As a person who has made more than that at points in my career, I would like to point out that everything is relevant, and even without involving a foreign country (like one of the African nations that Kryst alluded to), the point is still valid.

For Instance, if you make $100,000+ and you live in Kansas, Nebraska, or Oklahoma, you could possibly live like a King. On the other hand, if you live in New York, New Jersey (as I do), or California, you will find out that $100,000 does not go very far. I am sure that our friends from across the pond have similar comparisons that they can draw as well.

Adam Caramon

Local time
As a person who has made more than that at points in my career, I would like to point out that everything is relevant, and even without involving a foreign country (like one of the African nations that Kryst alluded to), the point is still valid.

Of course, that's why I said "from my own perspective". You sound like you're making a Sherlock-type discovery of the information I've already provided. :p

And I think you mean "everything is relative".

On the other hand, if you live in New York, New Jersey (as I do), or California, you will find out that $100,000 does not go very far.

But what does "not go very far" equate to? I tried to give concrete examples of what defines rich to me. If, for example, you made $125,000/year, but you couldn't afford college without school loans, you only have 1 (or 0) homes, have only 1 car per driver, etc, then my example wouldn't apply to your specific situation.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time

I wouldn't say they are devoid of any moral constraints, I'd say they have a very narrow and skewed vision of morality.

I'd say Robin Hood. Taking away from the rich and giving to the poor.

a rep. would be standing over john henry pushing him harder and harder to pound more nails into the railroad, and a dem would be constantly telling john henry to stop pounding nails because he doesn't need to work that hard.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Of course, that's why I said "from my own perspective". You sound like you're making a Sherlock-type discovery of the information I've already provided. :p

And I think you mean "everything is relative".

But what does "not go very far" equate to? I tried to give concrete examples of what defines rich to me. If, for example, you made $125,000/year, but you couldn't afford college without school loans, you only have 1 (or 0) homes, have only 1 car per driver, etc, then my example wouldn't apply to your specific situation.

You got me on that relevant/relative thing. It just goes to show that no one is perfect (especially not me).

I was referring to the cost of living (Real Estate, taxes, and other related costs) in those areas. In the first group of three states, where the average income is under $50,000, an income of $100,000 might seem like a lot. In the second group of three states, where the average income is over $75,000, an income of $100,000 might not seem that much in comparison. In fact, in some of the business circles that I have dealt with, an income of under $200,000 is deemed as being in the shallow end of the pool.

Add to that the cost of a family, including College, and you can begin to see my point.

Vassago

Local time

a rep. would be standing over john henry pushing him harder and harder to pound more nails into the railroad, and a dem would be constantly telling john henry to stop pounding nails because he doesn't need to work that hard.

Of course, if the reps were in charge, there wouldn't be any work left for John because the economy would be in shambles and no one would hire him.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:50

Of course, if the reps were in charge, there wouldn't be any work left for John because the economy would be in shambles and no one would hire him.
Simple, they'd just start another war somewhere:D

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time

are you saying that reps deplete work? work is depleted without creativity anyway. job creation exists because creativity and growth resulting from that exists. dems do not encourage this

Vassago

Local time

are you saying that reps deplete work? work is depleted without creativity anyway. job creation exists because creativity and growth resulting from that exists. dems do not encourage this

Reps deplete work by slowing the economy. Look what's happened to this country in the last 8-9 years due to the Rep controlled government. The economy was booming in 2000. The Dems plan seems to be helping more people work and spend money, producing more jobs and boosting the economy. I'd rather my money be used to help other people than a senseless war that doesn't put the money back into circulation within our borders. The more money that is spent, the more money is circulated. Sure, there will be some people taking advantage of it. There always has been. I think the majority of people will be using it to purchase goods and keep the economy alive.

I never understood why people were so upset about the Bank Executives spending the money in Vegas. Don't they realize that's what's going to fix everything? That money will pay everyone that works there, in turn circulating that money across the rest of the nation. It's when everyone hoards their money that things go bad.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time

I never understood why people were so upset about the Bank Executives spending the money in Vegas. Don't they realize that's what's going to fix everything? That money will pay everyone that works there, in turn circulating that money across the rest of the nation. It's when everyone hoards their money that things go bad.

yeah that is a funny thing isn't it? the one thing that reps seem to be out of touch with is the rationale for starting and keeping up wars. they're always seem to be be involved in them, which sucks.

but as far as levelheadedness otherwise, they're on the top!

Vassago

Local time

yeah that is a funny thing isn't it? the one thing that reps seem to be out of touch with is the rationale for starting and keeping up wars. they're always seem to be be involved in them, which sucks.

but as far as levelheadedness otherwise, they're on the top!

I think a war involving as much money and blood that's been spent in this last "war" is a pretty large shortcoming. It's not just affected our economy, but the economy of our allies as well. I'm waiting for the day that we truly are one planet with one goal. It's almost a shame that something such as the aliens in Independence Day aren't threatening us. At least then, maybe we could all be on the same page about something. It would be a good start to planet recovery.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I agree Vassago. Everybody gets distracted by the Rep/Dem debate, and doesn't realize they're just two sides of the same coin.

You're a victim of Republican propaganda. In the last 40 years republicans have outspent democrats.

Both parties are robbing the country but the Republicans lies are more believed than the Democrats.

Do you actually think any Republican office holder gives a crap whether or not you have an abortion. Hell no they don't, they just used it to create the biggest "moral majority" propaganda machine on the planet, well actually second, the Islamic clerics are doing a better job of convincing folks to do things; not in their best interest.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Spoken like a person who has never yet seen half of that amount as an annual salary.

For Instance, if you make $100,000+ and you live in Kansas, Nebraska, or Oklahoma, you could possibly live like a King. On the other hand, if you live in New York, New Jersey (as I do), or California, you will find out that $100,000 does not go very far. I am sure that our friends from across the pond have similar comparisons that they can draw as well.

Don't forget Northern Virginia.

The point is "The Rich" has nothing in common with annual earnings, that’s another republican lie.

“The Rich” are so rich that nearly every human on the planet is incapable of comprehending wealth at that level. So they (government office holders) make you feel like the rich make a 100K, or 250K, blah blah blah, it’s a diversion from the super rich that actually rule the world.

The democrats make you think that 250K is rich and they are making too much we should take some…
And the Republicans make you think you can become one of them.
Hehehe suckers, all.

By the way, it’s not really corporate America anymore; it’s now the international institutional investors.

Banks and Insurance, they are the wielders of the real power in the world, not governments, or corporations.

Financial institutes represent the largest concentrations of cash and holdings on the planet, right after only the very richest governments. But governments of course have a lot more overhead. LOL.

So the Republicans try to make us believe they have family values and will provide opportunities for motivated people (which of course leaves out all those leeches that suck on welfare) to become rich and make that 100K plus income. Woo-hoo.

The Democrats on the other hand pretend to care about the environment, or helping poor people get along without working, or rights for gay lovers to get married. Wow, that last one sure did cause a stir (which by the way, was another republican lie, the insurance companies didn’t want to be forced to foot the bill for gay lovers, so guess what, we don’t have it. As if any working person in the country could really care less if any other two people want to get married, I know I was too busy losing my career in home building).

Allright then, let’s focus on environment for a sec. What happened to the GAO (Government Accounting Office) investigation of MMS regulation of off shore drilling? How the hell did MMS allow such shoddy work to continue for so long?

Hello!!! institutional wealth, the marriage between oil and all of governments around the world.

So let’s add oil, to banking, and insurance.

Oil is the single most important element of the modern world, and for it we will sell our souls and our republic.

But that is another story, isn’t it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom