Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Old 08-14-2019, 01:59 AM   #1
ChrisC
Newly Registered User

ChrisC is on a distinguished road
image viewing in a form

Morning all,

OK, my searchable image database is coming along thanks to advice and a sample database from this forum, and I have worked out how to show an image path on my computer for each part in the table.

What I want to be able to do next, in my search results form, is to be able to click on the path (as a hyperlink) and have the image show in an imagebox on the same form. The image should change as I click on different images.

Is this possible? Are hyperlinks the wrong way to go?

many thanks as always,
Chris

ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:18 AM   #2
arnelgp

Thanked 2,435 Times in 2,335 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice
Re: image viewing in a form

just add the path of the image (saved on fieldname) to the Picture property of the image.
don't use Click event instead use Dbl-Click event of the textbox.

Me.Image0.Picture = Me.imagePathFieldName
Old 08-14-2019, 03:09 AM   #3
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,660 Times in 2,434 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

Use a text field for the path. Hyperlink datatype can cause problems.

Agree with arnelgp.
The reason for using the double click event is so you can if necessary select the item for editing using a single click.
However the sample database I supplied in your earlier thread should have shown you how to do this.

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:39 AM   #4
ChrisC
Newly Registered User

Thanks folks!

so to get it right in my head:

I have a picture box simply called "ImageBox"
I have my text field that contains the image path which is called "ImageFile", which is called from my main item table and appears

The code therefore that I put in the On Dbl Click property of the ImageFile text box would be:

Me.ImageBox.Picture = Me.ImageFile

?

When I double click on it however, I get the error message pop up to say that the database "cannot find the object 'Me'".

sorry to be dumb on what is almost certainly a simple thing!
Old 08-14-2019, 03:41 AM   #5
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

You need to refer to the name of your textbox control which may not be the same as the field name

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
Old 08-14-2019, 03:53 AM   #6
ChrisC
Newly Registered User

Hi Colin,

text box name and control source are both "ImageFile".

could this be causing some kind of conflict?

thanks
Old 08-14-2019, 04:00 AM   #7
isladogs
Part time moderator

It shouldn't cause a conflict.
The Me. syntax only works on the same form but that's not an issue here.
There must be something else that's not quite right on your form.

As a test add another text box temporarily and set its value equal to me.imagefile. Does that error?

Website links:

Colin
Old 08-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
ChrisC
Newly Registered User

didn't do anything im afraid (although I wouldn't rule out me doing it wrong!!)

ive attached the db - as you will see, it is an amended version of Allen Brownes.

the existing image is simply a place holder.

EDIT - I did try to attached the DB, but for some reason it is over 10mb, despite having only 8 product lines in it and the only image (the place holder) is only 500kb. I will have a play around and will return!
Old 08-14-2019, 06:09 AM   #9
ChrisC
Newly Registered User

DB now a "better" size and attached!
Attached Files
File Type: accdb Parts Catalogue 3.02.accdb (636.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #10
isladogs
Part time moderator

Always compact & zip before uploading

You did do it wrong. You should have created an event procedure for the double click event:

Code:
Private Sub ImageFile_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
    Me.ImageBox.Picture = Me.ImageFile
End Sub
See attached & check if it now works.
BTW I recommend NOT using jpg images. These don't always work well with Access. PNG format is much better
Attached Files
File Type: zip Parts Catalogue 3.02.zip (37.2 KB, 3 views)

Website links:

Colin
Old 08-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #11
ChrisC
Newly Registered User

You Sir, are a genius. thank you!

So for my understanding, for this type of thing (i.e. updating of fields) would it always (or at least most of the time) need to be done through an event procedure?

it works perfectly - thank you again.

Chris
Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #12
isladogs
Part time moderator

Yes!
There are some things you can place directly in the property sheet but not what you attempted

Website links:

Colin
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
ChrisC (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #13
ChrisC
Newly Registered User

excellent, thanks very much for your help.

solved!
Old 08-14-2019, 11:48 PM   #14
isladogs
Part time moderator

You're welcome. Good luck with the rest of your project

Website links:

Colin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: