Using a validation rule with an update query (1 Viewer)

M7_Lee

Local time
Today, 05:10
Hi all,

I have an query that updates a single line table that later gets exported as a CSV ready for upload into our Royal Mail system,

The table contains name, address, etc from our customer details tables, and weight, parcel type, and service from a form based on our despatch ID.

We occasionally have an issue where a foreign delivery mistakenly gets scanned through onto a domestic service.

I have now set up a validation rule and warning text using the postcode field and this all works fine if you manually update the field i.e. I get a warning if the postcode doesn't match "Right([Post_Code],3) Like '#[a-z][a-z]'" but if I update the field via my query I don't get any warning message and the update fails,

My question is, is there a way to get the validation warning to work when updating via the query?

Many Thanks
Lee

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:10
you need to set up validation in your table

or if appropriate you can use your validation in your query to exclude them e.g.

WHERE Right([Post_Code],3) Like '#[a-z][a-z]'

or perhaps have another query to report them with the criteria

WHERE Right([Post_Code],3) Not Like '#[a-z][a-z]'

you will also probable need some additional code to protect against postcode being less than 3 characters

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:10
using a User Define Function, you can.
create a public function in module:
Code:
Public Function ValidPostCode(Byval p_code As Variant) As Boolean
    If IsEmpty(p_code) Or IsNull(p_code) Then
        Exit Function
    End If
    p_code = p_code & ""
    ValidPostCode = (Right(p_code, 3) Like "#[a-z][a-z]"
    If ValidPostCode = False
       Msgbox "Invalid post code"
    End If
End Function

you write your query:

Update yourTable Set [Post Cide]="New Post Code Here" Where ValidPostCode("New Post Code Here")

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom