Question Formating Issue (1 Viewer)

jparker

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:19
I'm stumped. I am trying to import an excel spreadsheet into an access table. The excel spreadsheet has a date column in the format mm/dd/yyyy. The Access sheet has a date column in the format mm/dd/yyyy. However, when I attempt to load the data, the date comes in as a series of numbers. If you change the format of the date column in excel to "General," the same series of numbers appears. I have spent hours trying to get Access to import it as a date. Please assist

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
But is the data really in a date format? Import the excel file into a new table and look at the data type Access gives your date field. Access will recognize it if it really is a true date format.

jparker

Registered User.
Local time
This is the error I am getting

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 107

jparker

Registered User.
Local time
In Excel, I have short date clicked. In Access, Data type is Date/Time and Format is set to Short Date

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Import the excel file into a new table and look at the data type Access gives your date field after the table has been created from your import. Then post back with the result.

jparker

Registered User.
Local time
It is giving the start date an autonumber format and the end date a text format.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
The your data in the excel file is not really a date even though it might look like a date. Create a new excel file and format each field the way you want, then copy and paste special as values your data from the old excel file into the new excel file. Save the new file and then import it into a new table in Access and see what data types Access assigns the date fields.

jparker

Registered User.
Local time
Again, the formats will only come up as text formats.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 16:19
A friend of mine had similar issues and he said the only way he could get it to import properly into Access was if he formatted the date in Excel as TEXT and not as a date. (just thought I'd throw that out as a possible solution).

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Could you post a sample of your excel file? Remove any sensitive info but leave the date fields as is.

jparker

Registered User.
Local time
It will not let me upload. Says invalid file when i click upload. I attached screen shots. One is the start date with screen shot of the format editing area. The other is the end date with same thing.

Attachments

• end date.jpg
    end date.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 110
  • start date.jpg
    start date.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 108

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Nevermind. I wanted to test your excel file.

jparker

Registered User.
Local time
I created a trial table and a trial excel form. I had it working. So I added all the columns that I need thinking I could just rename the table and make it work. I did that then it came up with a script error. I deleted the extra columns that I had just added so that just the two date columns were left. when i tried to load them into access, it told me that the directory was missing...

jparker

Registered User.
Local time
Here is the file I am trying to import. At this point it will not import either. I had to put it in a compressed folder to get it onto here.

Attachments

• New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip
    31.2 KB · Views: 97

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
There is something funky in your file. I selected all cells and copied into a new xlsx workbook and was able to import the data into a new Access table and the dates were dates in the table. By doing that the labels you created were not brought into the new file. Maybe that is your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom