How to Divide a field's value by its sum? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 20:31
I have an alias named [Net Income]

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=277736

I want to divide it's value by the sum of its values through another alias [%]. How to do it?

%:=[Net Income]/Sum([Net Income]) Not working :(

getting an error saying:

"You tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression 'SR_NO' as part of an aggregate function."

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:01
I think it might be easier to do it on the form or report.

alternatively, have a totals query that generates the total, and include that in your query, WITHOUT trying to join it to the main query.

effectively you will get a cross-product join, but as you only have one item in the total query, you won't notice it.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
You Sum the expression not the alias.

For example:
Code:
%:=[Net Income]/Sum([Income] * [Tax])

%:=([Income] * [Tax])/Sum([Income] * [Tax])
Where [Income] * [Tax] is equal to the [Net Income] calculation.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 20:31
Hi Inet,

%: [Net Income]/Sum(([Cancellation Fees]+[Issuance Fees]+[Cancellation Fees GDN]+[Issuance Fees GDN]+[Other Revenues*]+[Dividend Fees]+[Tax Reclaim Service]+[Depository Fees]+[OOP Recoveries]+[Broker Reclaims]+[MAX Revenues*]+[FX Fees]+[Pink Sheets]+[NII Revenues*])+([Contrib# Expenses*]+[OOP Expenses*]+[Transfer Agency*]+[Other Expenses*]))

giving the same error:
"You tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression 'SR_NO' as part of an aggregate function."

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I'm guessing that you think you are not doing an aggregate query and SR_NO is another field in the query.
Once you include a function such as Sum you have a Totals/aggregate query and all fields must comply.
I don't think you need the sum, else select a totals query and the appropriate selections.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom