How to view record from another table in unbound text box in a form (1 Viewer)

saledo2000

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:16
Hi Everyone,
I am a beginner in access but trying hard and learning every day. Could you please help with my problem to view record from another table in unbound txt box on a form. I have two tables Reg and Gender. My table Gender has two columns where one is Gender (e.g. Male) and second column with gender symbol (e.g. for Male is M). On my first form Regfrm I select Gender from a drop down list and that is ok. I have created a Form RegDatafrm where my record source is set to table Reg. I want to see gender symbol for each student on a form using unbound box. I have tried Lookup property but do not get anything in unbound txtbox. Can you help on this please, would appreciate very much.
Thank you in advance.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:16
Hi. If you're saying you tried to use DLookup(), then please post what you tried, so we can help you fix it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
please help with my problem to view record from another table in unbound txt box on a form.

There is no need to use DLookup

Change it to a bound combobox with the combo control source = Gender field in the Reg table and the row source set to the values in the Gender table (or a value list)
This will allow you to select M or F and then save that for future use

saledo2000

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. If you're saying you tried to use DLookup(), then please post what you tried, so we can help you fix it.

I have to use combo box in DLookUp but I need just to edit record (Gender symbol) on a form from Gender table.

Hope this answer will find all others who replied to my thread. Thank you

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I have to use combo box in DLookUp but I need just to edit record (Gender symbol) on a form from Gender table.

Hope this answer will find all others who replied to my thread. Thank you
Hi. Not sure I understand. You might consider posting some images to help others follow what you did, just in case. Good luck with your project.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Which table contains the Gender field for each student?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Saledo
Please read my comments in post #3.
There shouldn't be a lookup at table level. Nor a DLookup expression.
Just use a bound combo as I suggested

saledo2000

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Did you read the link I posted above? Just curious...

Yes I read you link. Thank you. I want some other solution if is possible not to use Lookup option. If you have something in your mind will appreciate.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes I read you link. Thank you. I want some other solution if is possible not to use Lookup option. If you have something in your mind will appreciate.

I would suggest reading Colin's suggestion above. Let us know if it's not clear to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom