BRexit Vote - Poll -Big vote June 23 (1 Viewer)

What will be the Outcome of BRexit - multiple choice

• Yes - Britain Leaves the EU

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No - Britain Stays in EU

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Pass or not - nothing will really change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is so close and passionate- it will still divide the country

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Voter turnout will be low - its all a hype

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 06:57
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2016-brexit-watch/
Adding the Bloomberg Countdown Brexit Poll Tracker

Did we mention there was a huge prize for those that called it correctly? *

If you have been living under a rock, watch BRexit The Movie or google your own source. Recently, the brutal shooting of a member of Parliament made news. The Britain Exit (from the EU) is very much in the news.
Vote June 23, 2016
Polling stops in 5 days -

Cast your prediction for the outcome

* Of course there was no mention! There was never a prize.
However - If it were me.... I would have a Remain button and a Leave button - then head out to the bars and use what ever button got me the most exit poll party drinks!

Last edited:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 12:57
In my opinion there will be a turnout of at least 70% probably higher as this poll has aroused deep feelings on both sides. The governing Conservative party is split on this issue and it will be interesting to see what happens regardless of the result. Up till now the campaign has been a mixture of fear tactics from the Remain side and downright incorrect information from the Leave side

The tragic killing of Labour MP Jo Cox on Thursday may hopefully lead to a more rational and less personal approach to the rest of the debate. We can only hope.

Personally I hope that we vote to remain in the EU - apposition supported by the majority of world leaders. Trump of course wants the UK to leave but he is in a minority on this. I think the only other country that wants an Exit vote is North Korea. Never thought Trump would be agreeing wi th them

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Thanks so much for that Boots On The Ground assessment. Was hoping more owould chime in on this. It would seem to be a big deal from a maritime and military alignment. Watching from across the Pond, those few of us who even know what it is about can feel the passion.
If I don't watch the news about BRexit, I am uninformed,
If I do watch the news about BRexit, I am misinformed.

We actually have two Presidential parties who's candidates support the BRexit. The latest poll today: Clinton 39%, Trump 32%, Johnson 11%
Johnson would be akin to Nigel Farage.

Your comment about North Korea made me wonder. This is a recent poll by the PEW Research about the feelings of various countries. Interesting breakdown by age too.
http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/07/euroskepticism-beyond-brexit/

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Janet Yellen says Brexit Vote Influenced Fed Call to Hold Rates Steady.
Knew Brexit would affect Americans.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I think there are good reasons to leave and stay.
I don't like the ridiculous expense of the European Parliament http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/10565686/The-farce-of-the-EU-travelling-circus.html , and the apparent overriding of our own laws and influencing of our tax regimes. It is also apparent when travelling around Europe that as a nation we abide by the EU "rules" a great deal more than some of our fellow members.
I do however think that the benefits are considerable and that leaving now would be a bad idea.
As a nation we are also in a position where our debts are very leveraged into the EU and financially at the moment it would be an economic disaster.

All IMHO obviously ;)

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I think there would be little difference if we leave the EU, Britain is the 5th Richest Country, so countries will still Trade with us, it would be madness on their part if they didn't.

Yes, the Stock Exchange would take a dive, but lets face it, the world only has to fart and the Stock Exchange goes into free fall, it will recover once it realizes that there is little or no change.

I'm voting, if you hadn't already guessed to Leave.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
The rest of the world will continue to trade with us if we leave. Whether they will buy much from us is another matter. A lot of our manufacturing is based in the UK only because we have access to the free market. With a two year transition period people will have a chance to relocate factories so as to avoid the problems of being outside the EU.

There is also a significant risk that there will be a second Scottish referendum if there is a Brexit vote and this will lead to the break-up of the UK.

The latest polls have led the markets to believe there will be a Remain win all be it a narrow one. Still by friday we will know the result and get on with the rest of our lives.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
I am fairly involved in the Maritime industry due to my son's occupation.
In general, it is my opinion that the US would have much greater opportunities to trade if the EU regulatory wall was removed. The medium and small business here seem to have several rungs on the stepladder missing at this point.
The EU bowing down to the US inspired trade Sanctions on Russia is another aspect that doesn't set well with my values.
It always amused me that we don't mind hitching a ride on the Russian space program, but we won't allow the EU to trade with Russia. Naturally, the largest US oil companies are exempt and have contracts inside Russia.

Was just reading Reuters about a recent PEW Research poll. Only 38 percent of French respondents had a favorable view of the EU bloc, down 17 points from last year and the second lowest after austerity-hit Greece.

But, that is just my limited focus far removed from there. I am happy to see your country exercise the freedom to vote.

It is my intent to find a British Ale and watch the results unfold!
It isn't often I have an excuse for an Ale before Breakfast.
Let me encourage others to toast to this event watched by the world.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:57
Well as of this morning, it's official: GB is leaving the EU.

As an American who advocates Sates Rights, I applaud any action that promotes Sovereignty.

But I do not live in the UK and although I do live abroad (Italy), the conditions that apply for Italy do NOT apply for the UK. For example, the UK is not part of the Euro zone so I do not know what financial impact this will have to the residents who live in the UK. Another example is that the UK is not part of the Schengen Zone so travel to and from the UK remains unchanged...

My myopic point of view sees no down side to this exit but I also know that I do not know everything.

I am curious to know more from those who have to live there however...

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Cameron after this fail proposes to resign. A sign of integrity. In the US, the political system is not structured as a parliamentary system. Had Obama shown the same integrity as Cameron, Obama would have resigned following his "loss" in 2014.

By "loss", I recognize that Obama was not up for re-election; but Obama made it abundantly clear that he considered the 2014 election to be a referendum on his policies. The electorate resoundingly rejected Obama's agenda. At least Cameron is willing to step down in response to the will of the people.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Cameron after this fail proposes to resign. A sign of integrity.

I could not agree more. That speech he made was the epitome of class.

If only our politicians could behave like that...

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Cameron is a snake in the Grass, him and his lacky George Osbourne both need to go.

If the both of them had been in tune with the common people of the UK and not trying to feather their own nests and those of the rich chums this would never have gone this far.

Good Riddance I say.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
If the both of them had been in tune with the common people of the UK and not trying to feather their own nests and those of the rich chums this would never have gone this far.
Good Riddance I say.

Again, you would know better than I, and it has always been my experience that if a politician is resisting the change, then it is probably for self service.

I still like the gracious way he bowed out. Not bad for a snake in the grass!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
It was a very considered response by Mr Cameron.

He also doesn't want to be in charge during what will be a significant period of financial chaos and the issues surrounding Scotland and Northern Ireland now being dragged out when they voted (as countries) to stay in.

The immediate financial hiccups now are not the longer term ones that really concern me the most.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
BLeaveIt! Bloomberg News was in total ad-lib denial last night. Most of the experts they had lined up were just foolish people with tears about how the sky is falling.

I had cashed out of my investments and reinvested them into gold/silver mining stocks earlier this month after the High-Frequency-Trading pull back of the metals. Don't always get this right, but it is sure sweet on this morning's opening bell.
Continuing to toast to election results on Bloomberg Asia Cable TV last night this morning.

The Pound dropped 10% very quickly, they claim this to be the biggest drop in the Sterling Pound history.
Those who waited in line earlier this week to buy physical gold in the EU kept that value despite the paper currency drop and made at least another 5% on the flight to a safer currency in one evening. Gold is just another currency.

The http://www.kitco.com/market/ servers that track metals totally crashed last night. These were recently updated state-of-the-art. Wow, still down.

The High-Frequency-Traders for the USD were standing by to gently move the markets from crashing below 93.00 a second day in a row.
They assisted the London Fix paper market to lower electronic Gold / Silver to fall over 1% yesterday to support the Brexit - Stay position.

Just to put this into perspective - the UK Citizens were buying gold last month. Last months charts were published this morning. The UK imported from the Swiss 69.9 Tonnes of gold. China, Hong Kong and India, the largest traditional importers imported 18.0, 24.0, and 18.3 respectively.

If the markets are not bad enough news, World's Largest Hedge Fund Stumbled last Tuesday. Lost 6% loosing 14% YTD. This despite all of the dancing on Wall Street of our great recovery. Japan took a big hit as the rest of Asia fell early morning on the news.

The Pound fell to a 31 year low, a value of Black Wednesday crash of 1992. For those who had faith the financial leadership is all seeing, the pound soared through the $1.5 mark, its strongest performance right before the election.

Don't Let Schooling Interfere with your Education - Mark Twain
We are in uncharted waters in these markets.

This morning the paper-gold Net HFT gold volume exceeded an eye-rubbing 250,000+ contracts to contain the spike.
Zero Hedge reported S&P Futures Halted Limit Down as VIX spikes Above 26. We have to make sure the "too big to fail" can get their exit plans ahead of the average investor.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
The blame continues:
The figures — published after polls closed on Thursday night — suggest that 75% of 18-24 year olds voted to remain in the EU, while 53% of 50-64 year olds and 59% of people over 65 voted to leave. The survey has prompted an outpouring of disappointment on social media among younger voters...
examples of Tweets by younger people who are smug enough to feel their experience, sacrifice and contribution is superior:
"It's not fair that the older generation are deciding our futures"
- is voting not fair?
" Older generations voted for a future the younger generation didn't want. I am actually shocked."
- Didn't you listen to anyone outside your little circle? Shocked would indicate you had no idea at all.
" Thank you older generation, you don't have to live for half as long as we do with the sh**y decisions to be made"
- And thank you for appreciating all the other things they did for your welfare?
"What have we just done? And by 'we', I mean largely older generation who voted leave and have just condemned my generation even further."
- No, we will justifiably give your generation all its own credit for being condemned.
The top is the tweet, the - responses are mine.
Sincerely hope all of these tweets doesn't actually represent the next generation. They appear to be a bunch of whiners.​

Last edited:

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Regarding the Prime Minister's speech.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/nigel-farage-has-earned-his-place-in-history-as-the-man-who-led/
The result has ensured David Cameron will go down in the history books as the Prime Minister who failed to take voters with him on the future of their country, with over 17.4 million people rejecting him by choosing Leave. He was once feted for winning last year’s general election, but that victory – with 11.3 million voting for him – has been dwarfed by this defeat.

For years, the Establishment mocked and ignored the Ukip leader, but he (Nigel Farage) is the man who put Britain’s withdrawal from the E.U. on the agenda. His party, once dismissed by Michael Howard as a collection of “cranks and political gadflies“, forced the Prime Minister to call the referendum.
Reuters reported: Gold delivered double-digit percentage gains in sterling terms on Friday, topping 1,000 pounds an ounce for the first time in over three years. Swiss imports to London last month was many times higher in anticipation of Brexit passing.

Philosophy
Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute. - George Bernard Shaw
Economics
People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason. But the privileged also feel that their privileges, however egregious they may seem to others, are a solemn, basic, God-given right. The sensitivity of the poor to injustice is a trivial thing compared with that of the rich. All successful revolutions are the kicking in of a rotten door.John Kenneth Galbraith

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom