Family Fitness - Treadmill (1 Viewer)

Akyosuke

Banned
Local time
Today, 06:25
Hrvee#++;64_#wy5ghu43fgjite;-£@37)&_247ncdstewsxgvfydeA'+£#fhhrs6+&££6-3368!-£#dby+;-5-_esgjyrsd

Last edited by a moderator:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:25
They are expensive to buy new and have very poor resale value. Of those I have known the novelty wears of very quickly.

They come up in garage sales and op shops for a tiny fraction of the new price where I live.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:25
Even the commercial-grade models I have seen have a poor track record (you should pardon the pun) regarding durability. Treadmills, by their nature, are used in a context where full-grown adults put their full weight on them and try to run. They have to have some level of resistance or you would slip and fall - but if they are too tight, you get no benefit from them because you can never build up any speed.

For me, it is the reality of a neighborhood brisk walk because after my knee surgery, running is not recommended. (Not a replacement knee, just has required work and some parts are still delicate.)

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
They CAN be very good, but as has been noted they often are not that useful for home. I've seen them have too many issues requiring repair/replacement to ever want to purchase one. If you are in an area that has poor weather most of the year I could see the investment. Otherwise you are often much better off going for an actual run outside or a good walk.

If you do opt for a home unit make sure you know how you will be using it first, then go for one that matches your needs. The less expensive ones normally either can't take heavy use, can't incline much, or both.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 09:25
I had one. It broke often with regular use. It basically became a better deal to join a small gym in the long run and use equipment you don't have to maintain yourself. I would definitely recommend using a cheap gym or just using the sidewalk.

If you really want to buy a home one, I second the yard/garage sale method. Check classified or used good sites as well. Even facebook might have some for sale in your area. You're better off buying used than new and giving it a good cleaning. Just make sure it works before you buy and check the prices of the model online before agreeing so you are getting a decent buy.

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
we have one, a few years old already. was used for a few months and now it's in the garage accumulating dust :)

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
The cost of maintenance is an issue with the treadmill, i personally will prefer walking regularly, probabily having a daily walk out routine to using the treadmill.

You can ask a gym instructor/owner to recommend a good/affordable one for home use.

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:25
As an alternative, maybe a rowing machine would fare better?
Those I have used have been quite robust and can provide quite the workout.
I would recommend those using an air brake/fan to provide resistance as it is smoother and easy to control like a Concept2 although it is a rather expensive one.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I had a stationary bike that used the fan/air-brake method of providing resistance. It worked for a while but the big "gotcha" is that they are so complex with all the little gears and belts and such that it is almost as expensive to fix as it is to replace. And let's NOT talk about the Peleton with the TV advisor built-in.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
That advice is for me, though if one can't run ,one can walk briskly instead over a short or medium distance regularly.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
After my meniscus repairs, running is out of the question, but I take a moderate walk regularly, just a hair over 3 miles each day.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I shy away from words like "always" and "never", along with "best".

Why? One size does not fit all. Simple as that.

I have an arthritic knee. No running for me for over 5 years now. There is no chance of me running, even if I succumb to the blandishments of the orthopedic surgeon and replace misshapen bone with stainless steel.

I walk 25 - 30 miles a week, though. Lidocaine patches are part of that ritual.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I shy away from words like "always" and "never", along with "best".

Why? One size does not fit all. Simple as that.

I have an arthritic knee. No running for me for over 5 years now. There is no chance of me running, even if I succumb to the blandishments of the orthopedic surgeon and replace misshapen bone with stainless steel.

I walk 25 - 30 miles a week, though. Lidocaine patches are part of that ritual.
Oh, I forgot, I wanted to mention a name. Jim Fixx.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
After my meniscus repairs, running is out of the question, but I take a moderate walk regularly, just a hair over 3 miles each day.
Its better not to lose one's health in the process of exercising in any form, moderation is key in all things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom