Update problem (1 Viewer)

Brian Martin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:09
Nothing is being updated What is wrong with this code?:
SQLstring = "UPDATE [Product List] SET [Full Description] =" & [Forms]![frmChoose]![subChoose].[Form].Controls![FD] & "WHERE [Part Number] =" & [Forms]![frmChoose]![subChoose].[Form].Controls![PN] & ";"

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Put a space before the WHERE

dcx693

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:09
Try:
Code:
SQLstring = "UPDATE [Product List] SET [Full Description] ='" & [Forms]![frmChoose]![subChoose].[Form].Controls![FD] & "' WHERE [Part Number] =" & [Forms]![frmChoose]![subChoose].[Form].Controls![PN] & ";"
I'm pretty sure you can also remove the .Controls reference since it's the default collection of the Form property like this:
Code:
SQLstring = "UPDATE [Product List] SET [Full Description] ='" & [Forms]![frmChoose]![subChoose].[Form]![FD] & "' WHERE [Part Number] =" & [Forms]![frmChoose]![subChoose].[Form]![PN] & ";"
I am assuming that [Full Description] is a text field and that [PN] is numeric.

Brian Martin

Registered User.
Local time
Still stuck

Both fields are text fields.
i now have the following and it still doesn't work.

SQLstring = "UPDATE [Product List] SET [Full Description] =" & [Forms]![frmChoose]![subChoose].[Form].Controls![FD] & _
" WHERE [Part Number] = " & [Forms]![frmChoose]![subChoose].[Form].Controls![PN] & ";"

Any more thoughts?

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Code:
SQLstring = "UPDATE [Product List] SET [Full Description] = """ & [Forms]![frmChoose]![subChoose].[Form].Controls![FD] & _
""" WHERE [Part Number] = """ & [Forms]![frmChoose]![subChoose].[Form].Controls![PN] & """;"

Brian Martin

Registered User.
Local time
No luck

tried your code and it didn't work either. I'm stumped. the reason I'm trying to do this instead of a regular query is because I have a memo field that just wont allow anything greater than 255 characters and i read in this forum that some people solved this problem by doing their queries in code. I can't even add more than 255 when directly typing into the table. Any other ways of fixing this?

R

Rich

Why doesn't your query allow a memo field greater than 255?

but then if you can't type more than 255 directly into the table the field isn't defined as Memo

Brian Martin

Registered User.
Local time
Getting there

It is a memo. I have partly sorted the problem. i had set the format of the memo field as > to make all the text capitals. i deleted that and now it lets me input more than 255. But when I run an append query I'm sometimes getting gobbldeegook added on to the end.

R

Rich

If you apply formatting to a memo field then the query will restrict the Memo output to 255

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom