Hyperlink checker for local website (1 Viewer)

ram_rtg

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:48
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to use Access to identify broken links on a local website.

I know there's a lot of tools out there that already do this but I would like to build one using Access.

I searched the forum and looked in the sample databases but couldn't find anything so I'm assuming this hasn't been done yet.

Any thoughts, ideas or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:18
I'm sure it's possible in Access and VBA. If your goal is to get a deep understanding of vba then it might be worth the effort.

However I do know that Python has beautifulsoup which I understand is specially designed for scanning websites.

I have also seen some excellent books and video tutorials on using Python and in particular beautifulsoup. From the point of view of gathering the information, getting help, then a better route would be Python I believe.

The problem of doing this in MS Access is that I don't recall many posts on the subject. I think you might have problems finding specific information, although you could try a VBA forum for this type of information.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:18
I have used Xenu for years and its good for both 404s and missing assets although it will not pick-up <Picture> element assets used with Media queries. That is asking a lot. Will do local and external web sites.

Simon

ram_rtg

Registered User.
Local time
I have used Xenu for years and its good for both 404s and missing assets although it will not pick-up <Picture> element assets used with Media queries. That is asking a lot. Will do local and external web sites.

Simon

I've used Xenu in the past and it was pretty good however it's a bit slow for our website and doesn't take into consideration the JS used to rectify the incorrect links when the page is loaded so there will always be some more work after I run it.

ram_rtg

Registered User.
Local time
Why specifically do you want to use Access?

I need a Link checker that can scan through a page and ignore the links that the JS will rectify when the page loads but still identify the others that are broken.

I don't need to use Access. I started off with Excel initially however I generally find Access to be a bit more faster so I thought I would go with that.

Do you have any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom