Compile error in query-expression: AppLoadString([bw_tblBtnActions].[Description] (1 Viewer)

Frotoss

Local time
Today, 15:22
Hello everybody

I've build up an Acces database to make an inventory of products and services our department sels to other departments.

I have a couple of tables, query's, forms, reports and one module (RecordLocks = 2).

I wanted to add a button on one of the forms and i got the error:
"Compile error. in query-expression AppLoadString([bw_tblBtnActions].[Description]"

When I press 'ok' the wizard for making a button appears, but the example button is empty. When I try to choose another category, I get the same error.

Can anybody help me? I can't find anything on internet, blogs or books, but this forum has already helped me a lot! I recently found another user of this forum who had the same error. He changed his current references (VBA) but that doesn't work for me.

Kind regards
Frotoss

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:22
That looks like a system table it can't read.

Have you taken a back up (Do so if you haven't) and then try a compact and repair?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Application.AppLoadString is a hidden member of the Access library
This unfortunately means there is no help for that item and it is not officially supported. It also means it may not work in every version or be guaranteed to work in future versions
Although I've used several such hidden members, I've not used this one

A quick Google search for AppLoadString([bw_tblBtnActions].[Description] produced over 27000 hits including several forum answers such as that below
https://access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=177510

So you're far from alone in this exact problem - sounds like you're all using the same template or code!
Good luck

Frotoss

Local time
Thank you very much for your help. @Minty, I already took a back-up before. When I tried to add a button in my back-up, the same error appeared. I also tried to compact and repair the database, but that also didn't work.

I guess I'll just start over and try to copy the content. But anyway, thanks for your help.

Have a nice day!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Have you searched for this item using Google or looked at the thread I linked?
I've no idea what this code does as I've never used it, but clearly others have and someone may have got it to work.

Perhaps it would also help if you gave the source of your code and explained its purpose.

Frotoss

Local time
Hi everyone

I couldn't find the sollution for this error on the internet so I made a completely new database. I used the same tables, query's, tables and module (Recordlocks=2).

After a while I bumped into the same error. I didn't compile (VBA) the database yet, so I thought, I'll try and do that. I couldn't compile the datebase due to my Recordlocks. I deleted the module, closed my database, restarted it again.

After all that, I compiled my database (VBA) and it worked again! Now I can add buttons again.

Thank you very much for your help!

Merry christmas and a happy new year!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Glad you've found a fix if not an explanation.
Are you still using AppLoadString([bw_tblBtnActions].[Description] ?
If so can you tell me exactly what it does?

Frotoss

Local time
Isladogs,

I have no idea what AppLoadString([bw_tblBtnActions].[Description] exactly does. All I know is that without my recordlocks, I don't have this error anymore. I'm still using my database without recordlocks and everything works perfect.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Good to know. Good luck with the rest of your project

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom