Event Buttons Not Working All of a Sudden (1 Viewer)

learner2019

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:23
I have a database with many forms, one being a login form made by someone who owned this previously. The login form has a button for logging in after entering credentials. The button now does nothing, and I cannot view any VBA code. I tried the trust center settings and adjusting those, but still nothing. Anyone could help me I would be greatly appreciative.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:23
Hi. Welcome to AWF! What do you mean you can't view the VBA code? Are you getting an error message?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 07:23
Can you see the yellow security bar?
Is this an ACCDE file?

learner2019

Registered User.
Local time
I can see the security bar and I enable everything. This login form that was created doesn’t let me edit any other records. Also, unless you login, all I see for macros is autoexec, and that’s all. It appears the button is not firing.

learner2019

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF! What do you mean you can't view the VBA code? Are you getting an error message?

That’s the funny thing. No error message. The button depresses but just doesn’t do anything at all after typing in username and password. Is there anyway to fix this or is the whole database lost?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
That’s the funny thing. No error message. The button depresses but just doesn’t do anything at all after typing in username and password. Is there anyway to fix this or is the whole database lost?
Only way, probably, is if you could post a copy of the db for us to examine.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It occurs to me that there is something you can do as a type of back door. You say that you have a login method that asks you for credentials and you have to push a button to get in. But that means that there is no password on the DB, there is a password IN the DB - and that makes all the difference in the world. With a password ON the DB, you can't have something run to ask for anything until Access itself determines whether you know the password, and it is a password for the database as a whole for all users. But what you describe isn't like that, so the DB isn't encrypted via password.

Make an new, empty DB of the same type as your problem child - I believe you said it was an .MDB - and open it. Now use the External Data options to copy every element of the miscreant DB (as an input source) to the new, empty DB. Doing so calls up a multi-tab dialog box for which you need to "Select All" for everything it allows with that option. You want to copy EVERYTHING that it allows you to copy. Since this is internal to your machine, it should be a relatively quick operation unless you have a 1 GB database file.

Once the import is complete, you should be able to examine everything in the new copy because at this point you are in Access and inside your app, but the DB technically didn't open. More precisely, the "Opening Menu" Form_Open event routine hasn't run so your safeguards are not active. You can poke around to see if your table definitions and data are intact. You can examine macros, forms, reports, queries, etc. You can look at code, including any modules and event routines.

Now do a Compact & Repair. Since a C&R closes and re-opens the DB, it might prompt you for your login and you could see whether the button works. If it does, your problem was some form of corruption. If not, at least it was a non-destructive test and your original file is still available.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:23
You subject line is 'Event Buttons Not Working All of a Sudden;' is that correct...all buttons have stopped working...or just the one button?

Linq ;0)>

learner2019

Registered User.
Local time
It occurs to me that there is something you can do as a type of back door. You say that you have a login method that asks you for credentials and you have to push a button to get in. But that means that there is no password on the DB, there is a password IN the DB - and that makes all the difference in the world. With a password ON the DB, you can't have something run to ask for anything until Access itself determines whether you know the password, and it is a password for the database as a whole for all users. But what you describe isn't like that, so the DB isn't encrypted via password.

Make an new, empty DB of the same type as your problem child - I believe you said it was an .MDB - and open it. Now use the External Data options to copy every element of the miscreant DB (as an input source) to the new, empty DB. Doing so calls up a multi-tab dialog box for which you need to "Select All" for everything it allows with that option. You want to copy EVERYTHING that it allows you to copy. Since this is internal to your machine, it should be a relatively quick operation unless you have a 1 GB database file.

Once the import is complete, you should be able to examine everything in the new copy because at this point you are in Access and inside your app, but the DB technically didn't open. More precisely, the "Opening Menu" Form_Open event routine hasn't run so your safeguards are not active. You can poke around to see if your table definitions and data are intact. You can examine macros, forms, reports, queries, etc. You can look at code, including any modules and event routines.

Now do a Compact & Repair. Since a C&R closes and re-opens the DB, it might prompt you for your login and you could see whether the button works. If it does, your problem was some form of corruption. If not, at least it was a non-destructive test and your original file is still available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the enormous amount of support. When I am attempting to perform this, I am still unable to import all the macros associated with the Database. The only one I am able to import is the AutoExec. It appears to me this is just a simple login form. There is another form that holds all the usernames and passwords, and another form to add a username and set a password. I am unable to make any buttons execute unless the login form goes through. Any other suggestions I can take? The database has sensitive information through the company and will conflict with company policy if I share. Any screenshots I can post? Please let me know, and thank you once again.

learner2019

Registered User.
Local time

Are you able to offer any more insight? I still can’t get the button to work. Is there any other causes for this to have happened?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Are you able to offer any more insight? I still can’t get the button to work. Is there any other causes for this to have happened?
Hi. What exactly is "sensitive?" If it's just data, then don't send real data. Otherwise, it's hard to say what to check if we have no idea what your db looks like. You can start posting images and maybe one of them will catch our attention and go from there, but it's still not as good as having a file to examine.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When I am attempting to perform this, I am still unable to import all the macros associated with the Database.

If you cannot import the macros then something is damaged. When you attempt to do the import do you get any "failure to import" or "unable to import" messages?

I am unable to make any buttons execute unless the login form goes through.

This is actually a different statement than your earlier one,

The button now does nothing, and I cannot view any VBA code.

Do things actually work if you log in? I am suddenly confused as to your symptoms and you have to remember that we are working blind here. You can't post anything so you have to be extra-precise in your descriptions of events and errors. Otherwise, we are stabbing in the dark.

learner2019

Registered User.
Local time
If you cannot import the macros then something is damaged. When you attempt to do the import do you get any "failure to import" or "unable to import" messages?

This is actually a different statement than your earlier one,

Do things actually work if you log in? I am suddenly confused as to your symptoms and you have to remember that we are working blind here. You can't post anything so you have to be extra-precise in your descriptions of events and errors. Otherwise, we are stabbing in the dark.

My sincere apologies. What happens is in the .mbd file I am attempting to open. The only macro I can view is a “AutoExec” one, but I know that before, when I used to be able to login, when I did successfully login, I would be able to view 7 other macros associated with the work book. When I am importing everything into a new database, I do receive error messages for 3 modules that I am attempting to import. It is a module name modSecurity. The error is stating, “Name conflicts with existing module, project, or object library”. So those three modules, I feel like have something to do with that login form I cannot do anything with. Under macros tab when importing, all I see is that one autoexec macro, nothing else. Do you think that someone wrote VBA to hide the macros until the login form has been logged into?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
My sincere apologies. What happens is in the .mbd file I am attempting to open. The only macro I can view is a “AutoExec” one, but I know that before, when I used to be able to login, when I did successfully login, I would be able to view 7 other macros associated with the work book. When I am importing everything into a new database, I do receive error messages for 3 modules that I am attempting to import. It is a module name modSecurity. The error is stating, “Name conflicts with existing module, project, or object library”. So those three modules, I feel like have something to do with that login form I cannot do anything with. Under macros tab when importing, all I see is that one autoexec macro, nothing else. Do you think that someone wrote VBA to hide the macros until the login form has been logged into?
Hi. Do you know if the MDB file has the Shift Bypass Key disabled?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 07:23
If the shift key is enabled, holding it down will bypass all startup code
If its disabled, holding down the Shift key will have no effect.

learner2019

Registered User.
Local time
If the shift key is enabled, holding it down will bypass all startup code
If its disabled, holding down the Shift key will have no effect.

It looks like they have it disables, because it does the same thing. I found something although....I have an older backup of this database and when I try importing the same security module it works. When I try to import that same module from the newest one (the one I am having issues with) I get that error I mentioned about name conflicts with existing module.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
It looks like they have it disables, because it does the same thing. I found something although....I have an older backup of this database and when I try importing the same security module it works. When I try to import that same module from the newest one (the one I am having issues with) I get that error I mentioned about name conflicts with existing module.

Are you importing to a new blank database?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom