In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . . (1 Viewer)

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:54
Even if you're sorry and never worked a day in your life... :cool:

I guess I should have said everybody who has been paid wages on which payroll tax was collected gets social security and medicare. You can't collect if you haven't paid in.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 10:54
To my mind that makes it an insurance scheme

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
To my mind that makes it an insurance scheme

Insurance programs are based on the fact that most people will not collect anything at all. A program where everyone who pays in also collects is by definition not insurance.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:54
Did you miss the fact that the SS website calls them insurance programs?

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 06:54
I guess I should have said everybody who has been paid wages on which payroll tax was collected gets social security and medicare. You can't collect if you haven't paid in.

I'm guessing that if you have a birth certificate you can get ss even if you never paid a dime into the system. ;)

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Insurance programs are based on the fact that most people will not collect anything at all. A program where everyone who pays in also collects is by definition not insurance.

Earlier someone (I am not sure who) referred to "Social Security Caps". In reality, because of these "Caps", very few people get out of the program anything near what they actually pay into it. A Lesson in Basic Social Security Funding would be appropriate at this time.

There are three kinds of "Caps" in the program.
  1. A maximum amount of dollars that you can receive per month regardless of how much you contributed in their lifetime.
  2. The Number of months in a given year that it takes for you to reach your "Annual Cap".
  3. The Number of years that it takes for you to reach your "Lifetime Cap".
When I retire (Assuming I live that long and Social Security is still here to pay me), I expect to receive the maximum amount because:

• I used to reach my Annual cap by August, and therefore In effect, from January to August I was paying for my own Social Security, and From September to December I was paying for someone else's.
  • I reached my Lifetime Cap when I turned 44 (A few years ago), and since then, 100% of what I pay funds someone else's Social Security, since I am unable to increase the amount that I can be paid out.
I am not making these statements as a matter of complaint, but rather to show that the people who said that it was a type of insurance are more correct then they are being given credit for.

KenHigg

Local time
Earlier someone (I am not sure who) referred to "Social Security Caps". In reality, because of these "Caps", very few people get out of the program anything near what they actually pay into it. A Lesson in Basic Social Security Funding would be appropriate at this time.

There are three kinds of "Caps" in the program.
  1. A maximum amount of dollars that you can receive per month regardless of how much you contributed in their lifetime.
  2. The Number of months in a given year that it takes for you to reach your "Annual Cap".
  3. The Number of years that it takes for you to reach your "Lifetime Cap".
When I retire (Assuming I live that long and Social Security is still here to pay me), I expect to receive the maximum amount because:

• I used to reach my Annual cap by August, and therefore In effect, from January to August I was paying for my own Social Security, and From September to December I was paying for someone else's.
  • I reached my Lifetime Cap when I turned 44 (A few years ago), and since then, 100% of what I pay funds someone else's Social Security, since I am unable to increase the amount that I can be paid out.
I am not making these statements as a matter of complaint, but rather to show that the people who said that it was a type of insurance are more correct then they are being given credit for.

Where'd you get all of this info?

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
The Social Security Administration has plenty of information available but Most of the information I got from HR Bulletins and Union postings from the place that I used to work.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 10:54
They aren't insurance programs. An insurance program is where you pay in a small percentage of what you might claim, based on the risk that you would actually file a claim.
Everybody gets social security and medicare. Therefore, they are not insurance programs.

Whose definition is that.
I paid for my house with a with profits Insurance policy, it was designed to pay off the mortgage and hand me a nice little bonus, which it did. They are not sold these days but it was an insurance policy, if I had died it would have paid off the mortgage even if it was in the first year.

Brian

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
I'm guessing that if you have a birth certificate you can get ss even if you never paid a dime into the system. ;)

Not true. Your benefits are calculated on the basis of how much you have paid in.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Not true. Your benefits are calculated on the basis of how much you have paid in.

Not exactly. Your MONTHLY benefits are calculated based on that. Once you have paid money into the system (and not as much as you might imagine), you can collect for the rest of your life (once you are eligible). For some people who work on and off, and do not hold long standing jobs, this means that they actually stand a chance to be able to take out more than they put in.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
So, a house went up in the lot next to mine. Turns out I know the couple who bought it and although I wouldn't consider us friends, we are friendly towards each other.

Yesterday, I saw one of my neighbors getting their mail and I stopped to let them know that the house across from them had sold. They are in their mid-80's and have lived in their house for over 50 years.

Her first question "Are they white?" I told her they were and she went on to assure me that she was not a racist and that she was just curious. And then she hit me with the one phase white folks say that black folks HATE: "Some of my best friends are black..."

All in time...

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:54
Wow, I don't recall this thread yet it has been around for over a decade. I'll toss in a few cents' worth just to muddy the waters.

My parents were a firefighter (and later, maker of street signs - definitely blue collar) and an accounting supervisor for the phone company (low level white collar). I paid for my college tuition by working night jobs and collapsing every Sunday to try to catch up on sleep. I got my job on merit and rose through the ranks by merit to become a department manager. One of my uncles had left me about $500 for college, which disappeared the first year through books and tuition. After that, it was ALL on me to pay for it. I worked hard all of my life until I retired. I'm white but I didn't see any privilege in any of that. The only privilege I ever had was my dad telling to NEVER EVER sass a cop. So I didn't get rousted. Was it because of white privilege or because I knew better than to give a cop a reason?

Maybe my white privilege is simply because I never saw myself as a victim, only as a person who worked and studied hard for what knowledge and skills I brought to the table.

OK, here's my "standard disclaimer" according to NG. Two of the three best bosses I ever had were black. I can claim them as friends. All three of the worst bosses I ever had were white. I can claim them as history.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Don't get me wrong, my story isn't to support the title of this thread. The couple in question are good, decent folk. It amused me where their mind went first when I told them we were getting new neighbors.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
The elderly couple may be reflecting the beliefs of the past, which are now supposed to be antiquated in our "new" enlightened age. But humans culture tends to carry the past into today. Consider what is happening today. Seems that some of those who (falsely) claim to endorse diversity and inclusion, are themselves closet racists. Biden, when he assumed office, even proclaimed racism (equity) official US government policy. And don't forget Biden's infamous: "If you don't vote for me, you are not Black".

The article below was written in 2020. The significance of this article, one of many similar articles, is that it demonstrates a continued and ongoing long-term racist reaction to the 1960s Civil Rights movement that was supposed to end segregation. Technically "separate but equal" was ruled unconstitutional starting with Brown v. Board of Education of 1954. Yet those who seemingly wanted to end segregation are now unbelievably promoting it!?!"!

In a way - the reaction of the elderly couple as to who their respective natures would be can be attributed, in part, to the news of the day and the fact racism which should have been allowed to die-out has been kept alive by "race baiters" who have to keep racism alive to remain "employed" (relevant).

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:54
No, that's got to be fake news!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom