Problem with Barcode Font in Report (1 Viewer)

Uncle Ned

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:28
I'm working on a production monitoring database that at one particluar stage a label is printed using an MS Access Report. In the label I have the Primary Key for the item in barcode format Code128.

On my computer I have two Code 128 fonts, if I choose one of them I get a label with a perfectly readable barcode, but if I chose the other it's unreadable (see attached image). So I use the readable font and finsih the database, everything works well and label have a readable barcode.

When I went to set the database up on the computer that is supposed to print the label, I can't find the Code128 font that works on my computer.

I've searched the fonts folder on my computer, but it's not there.
I've read elsewhere that there is another fonts folder in C:/Programfiles/WindowsApps, however, when I try to enter that folder it tells my I don't have read rights for the folder, even though I do.

I've searched for two days for a working downloadable Code128 font, there is no problem finding the one that doesn't work.

Anyone able to advise on this?

Thanks

Attachments

• barcode screen shot.jpg
    barcode screen shot.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 292

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:28
did you search c:\windows\fonts folder for your font?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:28
When I went to set the database up on the computer that is supposed to print the label, I can't find the Code128 font that works on my computer.
You looked in C:\Windows\Fonts in the working computer and did not find the working font?

Or you installed the font on the new computer and you still can not find it?

Just re-download the font from the internet on the target machine, or am I missing something.

Uncle Ned

Registered User.
Local time
You looked in C:\Windows\Fonts in the working computer and did not find the working font?

Or you installed the font on the new computer and you still can not find it?

Just re-download the font from the internet on the target machine, or am I missing something.

Even though the font is available on my computer, when I look in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder it's not present. Apparently in Windows 10 there is a second restricted folder that I wasn't able to search.

I thought that I could just find the working one on the internet and download it as well, I've searched for hours now and can't find where I got it from in the first place (well over a year since I found it).

Uncle Ned

Registered User.
Local time
did you search c:\windows\fonts folder for your font?

Yes I did, that was my first thought - I reckoned it would be easy to just copy the font from one machine to the other.

No dice

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:28
try downloading Everything.exe, it will search all your files.

Uncle Ned

Registered User.
Local time

Uncle Ned

Registered User.
Local time
try downloading Everything.exe, it will search all your files.

That's a useful tool. However, it is only brining up the barcode fonts that are in the Windows/Fonts folder. I did find plenty of fonts in the WindowsApps folder, but no barcode fonts.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of an add-on or encoder that I may have inadvertantly loaded onto my computer

Uncle Ned

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Everyone,

I finally found a solution, there were a combination of a number of factors to overcome before finally getting it over the line.

1. Instead of using Code128, I downloaded one of the many free Code39 (or 3 of 9, depending on the font) that were available online and swiched to it.

2. Code39 requires * at the start and end of the data, so I added On Load VBA for the report,

example; Me.txtBarCode = "*" & Me.txtPrimaryKey & "*"

3. I discovered that if the data held a single digit primary key, i.e. 1 to 9, that the barcode scanner could not read the label. However, any primary key that was 10 or higher and there was no problem reading it.

4. Font size: If the bar code font size was set to 18 or lower, then the scanner couldn't pick it up. If I set the size then I could read it if I moved the scanner in/out a bit. Once the font size was set to 28 or higher, there were no issues reading the barcode at all.

I hope that this information is useful to others encountering similar problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom