I need to create a unique reference number (1 Viewer)

accesnovice

Local time
Today, 14:04
Hi!

I want Access to automatically generate a reference number for a record based on the values in on two other fields for a given record using a form.

The first field is called Operation Number.
The second is Bag Number.
The reference number needs to be in this format: 19C.3.1
Where 19C is the Operation Number, 3 is the bag number, and 1 is automatically generated. Additionally I need the last number --the automatically generated one--to go back to 1 if with each new bag number.

This is kind of like library catalog numbers. Not sure how to do this. Any help?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:04
You also need to consider whether it's worth concatenating and saving data that already exists in separate fields. It's a duplicated effort if you're doing this. Perhaps GinaWhipp's link highlights this, not sure.

The three parts already exist in separate fields, and it doesn't necessarily need to exist as a single field because you can calculate that field each time you want to present a reference number.

But then again, I won't rule it out completely because it depends on your usage of the reference field in searches and linking. Just highlighting this as it's something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom