Radio Control Dambuster (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:53
Here is an excellent video for any nerds out there!

Radio Control Dambuster

from Tom Stanton, James & Matt

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:53
This was replicated with full size 'barrels' and a real plane on a tv show I watched. Obviously it wasn't a Lancaster but a cargo plane. They actually spent days building a dam in a run-off area they constructed on a northern Canadian lake just so they could knock it down. It worked, but it sure was a real life lesson on the incredible demands placed on the pilot and crew.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
This was replicated with full size 'barrels' and a real plane on a tv show I watched.

That Tom Stanton has his own YouTube channel. He's always doing something! He built an electric bike, a trebuchet, an engine for an airplane that runs on compressed air (from a 2 litre plastic bottle) a working model of Elon musk's rocket, various quadcopters, all with some particular slant which is always interesting. I think he lives near Oxford which is about 30 or 40 miles from me.

That program you mention about them reproducing the bouncing bomb, I believe I've seen it, maybe about 10 years ago?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
An amusing anecdote, I couldn't for the life of me spell the name of the device he created for throwing Stones at castles! I couldn't look it up on Google! Speech processing couldn't pick up what I was saying either, so I was a bit stumped. I opened Google Search and I said "big mechanical French catapult" and it give me the name! "trebuchet"

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 04:53
Here is an excellent video for any nerds out there
I've never considered myself a nerd Tony, even tho I've done this job for years. Actually, I've been a recreational bodybuilder for 20 years! Now that's not common in the software development community!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Oh, heck, Adam. You're a tried and true nerd and you know it. All of the questions you are posting in the watercooler are definite nerd material. Think of the movie "Revenge of the Nerds." Say it now and say it loud. I'm a nerd and I am proud.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:53
I didn't realize the show was that old (about 2011) because I saw it maybe 6 months ago. Interesting that the recreation project originated at Cambridge University (I think) but for some reason they went to a Canadian lake to drop it. Might have been due to availability or willingness of pilots who could or would participate, perhaps. I can't recall. Was a great tv show.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/bombs-away-the-dambusters-bounce-back

I found a link

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Oh, heck, Adam. You're a tried and true nerd and you know it. All of the questions you are posting in the watercooler are definite nerd material. Think of the movie "Revenge of the Nerds." Say it now and say it loud. I'm a nerd and I am proud.
if you met me in person, you would 100% for sure change ur mind on that one, doc!

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 02:53
USAF developed a different approach that would have worked just as well; use of parachutes for low level bombing runs. Intent was to allow the aircraft to leave the blast radius. For a visual of what it looks like, here's a later application; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWGe_h6Ihdo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom