Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:12

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:12
There is a fine line between humanitarian concerns over the plight of immigrants and turning a blind eye towards the actions of less well-to-do immigrants that come in. One of the discussions from Mr. Trump regarding the USA immigration crisis is that we need to engage some kind of filter of who can come in based on whether they have adequate skills to be less likely to be welfare recipients long-term. I am sure that there are a gazillion viewpoints out there, but my view is that while he is a bit heavy-handed sometimes, Mr. Trump is not totally wrong to be concerned.

We have seen a lot of the undocumented influx of folks gravitate to street gangs similar to the gangs in Central America and South America. We have seen a lot of homeless folks from those areas, folks who lived in poverty and misery. It is as though they brought their misery with them and the socially-minded can't see that they are poverty-stricken HERE because their problem is bigger than just seeking asylum.

We have seen cases where some Islamic neighborhoods tried to establish Islamic courts to deal THEIR brand of justice - which is misogynistic and ethnocentric, two basic issues that are totally against the "equality before the law" concept of the USA. The problem is that these people don't want to culturally assimilate. Well, that isn't good. And that is something that I have read about from various sources all over the EU, now that they have an open-door policy to immigration.

I definitely think that a better type of screening is needed, but that takes people to staff the screening positions, and we are already approaching "full employment" levels in the USA. That means fewer people can trickle in. That explains why Mr. Trump triggered a dialog with Mexico to be a stopping place for the immigrants pouring in from the south. We cannot handle the influx and the liberals here want to just let them in and deal with them later. Kicking the can down the road yet again, and the problem is that once they are in, too many of them simply vanish.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 13:12
Something few wish to discuss is that, when people flee due to war they and their children seldom wish to "integrate". They have not come willingly to become part of another culture. They would much rather have that which they lost than that which is offered to them. It is not a matter of "Brown VS White" either. It can even cause great hardship in a neighboring nation that share religious, ethnic, and linguistic traits.

Black September is a perfect example. Immigration that is not by choice rarely has good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom