got a few questions for the gamers around here... (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 04:36
>>>Are most programmers into gaming as much as I think they are?
>>>Why is gaming so popular with internet users?
>>>Is it true that it is generally more difficult to develop gaming software than other types of software?
>>>For those of you that play games on the internet with other gamers, what kind of connection speeds / hardware specs do you have so your system doesn't crash?
>>>For those of you here that are retired, do you play?
>>>What are some of the most popular internet games? About 20 years ago when I was in high school, the talk of the town was Warcraft.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I will deal with two of those. The others, either I have no idea or no concern.

>>>Is it true that it is generally more difficult to develop gaming software than other types of software?

Most modern games, particularly the console versions, are in the "high-res animated graphics" category, which requires some fairly intensive computations for geometry and perspective (look up "ray tracing" in the context of games). Most games that have a single-player mode also have some type of A.I. so that the player can have enemies. This can get quite complex.

For an example of a game that isn't brand new but that represents a good mix of graphics, AI, and interactive character management, see Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Yes. I tend towards first-person shooters such as the Elder Scrolls series, Doom (3), Quake (4), the Red Faction series, and a few others. Plus some isometric-view shooters (a.k.a. over-the-shoulder) such as the Dungeon Siege series and the Witcher series. However, I also do some 4X games here and there. For instance, Sid Meier's Civilization series has some appeal. There is an oldie-but-goodie in Sword of the Stars, and there is some value in Sins of a Solar Empire.

I would love to do the Mech Warrior series but since my hard drive died, I can't load the games from original disks due to some things that Win10 & Microsoft won't allow - the bastards. Specific to the Mech Warrior series, the problem has to do with specifics of digital rights management a.k.a. anti-piracy s/w. The part that gets me miffed is that they were published for Windows under the Microsoft Game Studios imprimatur, but now Microsoft's Win10 won't run them.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:36
I bought an Oculus Quest a couple months ago and it totally blows away any system I have ever played before. I cannot even fathom what the degree of complexity must be to program such a system.

Aside from the game play itself, just the positioning software is mind blowing. It uses 4 built in cameras to map the room your in. You set up a "Guardian" by drawing an area on the floor which will warn you if you get too close to a wall or furniture. You are not tethered to anything so you can move around freely. The surround sound system is built into the head strap and allows you to hear someone or something coming up behind you.

The gameplay is equally mind blowing. Your in a 360 degree environment with amazing resolution and detail. There are multiplayer games but I've only played a few rounds in it. My favorite so far has been Vader Immortal, a star wars game. The immersion effect is incredible. I feel like a Jedi.

There are also Events you can attend. I have watched a concert and attended a stand up comedy show. It has you sitting in a section of the audience and you can talk with the people around you.

It also allows you to cast what your seeing in the game to a TV set or phone so others in the room can follow along.

We've come a long long way since the days of Pong.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Are most programmers into gaming as much as I think they are?
I can only speak for myself, but it turns out that I have less interest in computer gaming that I thought I was.

For those of you here that are retired, do you play?
I like turn based strategy games. Such as Civilization (FreeCiv), Civil War, and WWII.

Mentioning Civilization (Sid Meier's Version) raises a significant irritant. Microsoft revised one of its programs dealing with DRM and that bricked my ability to play Civ4. I bought Civ5(?), but decided not to accept their terms of service. Well, there was no option to get a refund and my complaints were ignored. If DRM is imposed and the user declines there should be an offer for a refund. In the end, my credit card company did give me a courtesy refund.

I have no interest in first person shooter games.

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:36
I used to be more into games in the past (~20 years ago), but I have lost my interest in them. My reaction time for first shooter games is not quick enough anymore. Most other games just seem to be boring.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
a company I interviewed with last week said that the last guy they had in the position took another offer to write gaming software cuz he was such a big gamer himself. makes me wonder if there is a lot more money to be made in writing games than writing business apps...??

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, there can be a lot of money if you are good and have the skills to contribute to the overall game. I think the days of the solo game-writer, however, are drawing to a close if they haven't already.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I think the days of the solo game-writer, however, are drawing to a close if they haven't already.
well i know nobody in the game writing business, so i wouldn't be able to do the job then.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
For game development these days you have several different teams that are all working together. One group is building the base engine (what shows you what your character is doing, where they are, all the other stuff they see) while another lays out the environment. A third is making all of the graphics required for the game while a fourth is working out story. You normally then add in the audio team and (often) another that develops the system by which events happen in game. QC and multi-player are added to the mix for most houses.

Or you could work for the other gaming industry; gambling. Much more lucrative if your in the right area, but can be much harder to break into.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 09:36
I'm a Table Top war gamer, only been playing for 18 months, but love it, great community too

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
>>>Are most programmers into gaming as much as I think they are?

I'm very much a gamer.

>>>Why is gaming so popular with internet users?

Social interaction with people across the planet and the ability to play multiplayer without splitting the screen.

It depends on the complexity of the game. Large industry games have developed into full blown epics with deep stories, voice acting, and amazing graphics. Naturally, you need more people do cover everything.

>>>For those of you that play games on the internet with other gamers, what kind of connection speeds / hardware specs do you have so your system doesn't crash?

I play on PS4 and have a 300 mbit connection.

n/a

>>>What are some of the most popular internet games? About 20 years ago when I was in high school, the talk of the town was Warcraft.

World of Warcraft is still very popular and it was released many years ago. Any war-type game with multiplayer usually does well. MMORPGs are still going strong.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
a company I interviewed with last week said that the last guy they had in the position took another offer to write gaming software cuz he was such a big gamer himself. makes me wonder if there is a lot more money to be made in writing games than writing business apps...??
Try modding first, if you like it then go for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(video_gaming)

aym

Registered User.
Local time
Hello sir pls how do I share my MS access db online?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Hello sir pls how do I share my MS access db online?
ur in the wrong place my friend...go here and upload it via any forum link under the words Microsoft Access Discussion

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Aym, it depends on what it is and how you intended to share it.

May I respectfully suggest you start another thread to follow up this question?

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 09:36
With mini's or without?

With Mini's, currently playing and Demoing a game called Darklands by Mierce Miniatures, it's based on the Dark Ages in the UK, Western Europe after the fall of the Roman Empire, but with a fantasy twist..

Uses Legends, and Tribal Myths to include fantastic beasts into the mix of infantry based Minatures..

Such as Trolls for the Norse, Ogres for the Scottish, and Tree Folk for the Irish amongst others..

It's really immersive with great back stories most of which is based on historical fact..

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Scott-Atkinson

I used to enjoy both Warhammer 40K and the epic version. That was a fair time ago though. For Darklands how often do new mini's come out? And do older mini's become obsolete? One reason I got out of this kind of gaming was the price tag on re-buying your army every year or two to keep up with the "Current" mini. Almost as bad as CCGs.

These days for table top games I've a preference for RPGs. I can use what ever I want for a mini and often I've found them far more enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom