Booting from 2nd HDD (1 Viewer)

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:34
Morning,

I have recently been given a PC to try and fix. Quite old really, P4 processor, 512mb of RAM, 256MB Graphics, 2xHDD (each 160GB). I want to fix it as it is easily upgradable and should have a live at least another 1-2 years.

Problem - 1 of the HDD is failing, very slow and noisy.

Solution - I want to take that HDD out and make the 2nd Bootable

Both the disks are sata - how do I achieve the above? I will install Windows 7 or Ubuntu onto the PC, haven;t decided.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:34
Boot into the BIOS hit delete (usually) on the first BIOS splash screen and select from the menu boot order. change to CD/ DVD ROM first, then the HD you want to boot from. Restart with the O/S disk of choice and setup.

I will install Windows 7 or Ubuntu onto the PC, haven;t decided.

Depends who it's for and what they want to do, surfing, e-mail etc Ubuntu will be fine but Win 7 would be more flexible BUT the spec is under minimum requirements: clicky though you might fine it can run it albeit without the fancy Aero features etc. If it is still working you can download the upgrade advisor clicky

The again why not re-install which ever operating system is currently on it?

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
made lifer hard for myself.

I am going to take the disk out and install the OS via another PC. Got myself a docking station - what do I need to make it bootable?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
made lifer hard for myself.

I am going to take the disk out and install the OS via another PC. Got myself a docking station - what do I need to make it bootable?

Which O/S? With XP you'll may run into difficulties (different hardware) that asside if you can get it to work again you'll need to install the HD into the new PC (select that drive via BIOS to boot from) or you can boot from a USB HD but it's a bit of pain and best to be avoided because you'll need to boot from that disk all the time.

Best to install the new disk > boot into CD/DVD rom and install O/S on new disk.

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
meh OK, I need to make a boot disk.

I have Ubuntu, Red Hat or Windows 7 with me...Not sure how many are live (bootable) disks though

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
I have Ubuntu, Red Hat or Windows 7 with me...Not sure how many are live (bootable) disks though

OK hang on a sec Ubuntu and Red Hat can be made as a bootable disk (no need to install) are you sure you want to do that? You can also run all 3 as a bootable O/S installed on the HD. :confused:

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
on my main PC, I run Ubuntu and Win 7 dual boot. I am fine when it comes to software.

I have never done a fresh install on a new harddisk - that is what I want to achieve. At the minute I am not too fussed which OS

Sorry for being unclear.

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
I installed Ubuntu on the main disk (more of a test than anything). Unfortunately that is definately a disk which is failing so I need to install it onto the 2nd disk. I will switch their positions over tonight and try and install Ubuntu again (I don't have a Windows Recovery disk etc).

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 11:34
Are you sure it's a hard drive failing? What made you come to that conclusion?

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
if I leave disk in machine but open it and switch on...the disc can be heard making quite loud noises, not to mention in performance read/write speeds are slower than desired.

It is a P4 machine with only 512mb of RAM but the disc is certainly an issue..

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
sorted -

FYI - I took out broken disc and set PC to boot to CD - then install Ubuntu followed By Windows onto the good disk. This worked a treat :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom