multiple programs start at random (1 Viewer)

russi

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:26
Hi. My Dual Core XP (service pack 2) PC with a 1 - 1 1/2 year old drive began opening multiple programs at random. As many as a dozen before I reboot.
I ran chkdsk. I have Zone Alarm and Avira. I also ran Avast, Malwarebyte's, Super Anti-Spyware, Trend Micro, rootkit detectors... And nothing shows.

Any ideas?

Russ

Local time
Yesterday, 18:26
Does it continue to do it if you remove it from the network?

Have you checked your mouse/keyboard?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 19:26
What is opening? Can you give us some specific examples?

russi

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for responding.

-- Yes, even when off the network. Occasionally, the internet network is not recognized upon booting. But easily reconnected.

-- The random software is literally any program. From graphics to word processing to utilities to... All are legit. Nothing new added.

Russ

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
There are prank programs out there that can do this sort of thing - does anyone else have physical access to the computer? Are they the sort of person that might play this sort of a joke?
(I'm not sure how you'd go about detecting one of these - maybe it should show up as a startup item in MSConfig, or maybe HijackThis would list it)

Or it could be a problem with the keyboard - can you borrow a spare one from anywhere to swap out for a while to test?

russi

Registered User.
Local time
Atomic Shrimp,

Only 3 very trusted folks who I guarantee would not have done anything.
And, I have checked msconfig. (But have not run Hijack This.)

I am very interested in your keyboard idea, esp. as the keyboard and mouse are Microsoft Wireless ones. I'll let you know. (But it will be hours before I am back there.)

Russ

russi

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately it does not seem to be th ekeyboard.

Any other ideas? I have tried so many anti-virus, spyware, malware, and rootkit software to no avail.

Could it be the drive itself?

Russ

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 19:26
Barring some kind of prank program or trojan, such as the old subseven trojan, I have never heard of anything like this. If you're sure it's not some prank by one of your friends or something you or someone else may have not accidentally installed, I'm at a loss. Can you try reinstalling windows and seeing if the problem continues?

russi

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks to everyone. In the end it seemed to be a trojan.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom