Teaching threads (1 Viewer)

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:31
Hi,

Whilst browsing around I have noticed there are a lot of people looking for guidance and advice regarding the creation of simple databases.

Instead of using the General Area it maybe worthwhile to create a teaching/training section.

Reasons:
- noobs like myself will know exactly where to ask for simple guidance on beginner issues
- general area can still be used for general access questions

If threads sensibly titled can be used as references for other queries.

I am a little bored just now, so forgive me if this is all b****ks

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 05:31
i AGREE with this, BUT I WOULD not participate in writing comprehensive threads unless they paid me to do it.

ideas like this eliminate the need for brick and mortar business and teaching business of the same kind. i think we should promote the need for business to continue. if we don't, monetary dependence on government will continue to get worse.

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
yeah that sounds good.

But I have noticed people generally get stuck on issues like normalisation, table structure, it is often easier to discuss it with someone than just link them.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 11:31
Wouldn't it be just as easy to buy a manual or tutorial?

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
I meant the thread to contain threads like "How to"?

The current general thread contains errors/how to's/what to do's/etc etc

I don't intend the thread to contain detailed instructions on how to create an entire database but just how to get started. It is always easier talking to people than buying a book...plus cheaper...

I know there are plenty of sites containing access tutorials but as I said i was bored this morning

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
yeah that sounds good.

But I have noticed people generally get stuck on issues like normalisation, table structure, it is often easier to discuss it with someone than just link them.

There's reams and reams of pages and samples covering all of this on the internet already, you just have to look for them

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
true

but considering this forums title it seemed a sensible place to have some too.

Wasn't for my benefit but others...I need more help lol

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Wouldn't it be just as easy to buy a manual or tutorial?

David,

this requires spending MONEY. if you can get it for free, why on earth spend money? this is whole concept behind why the economy sucks! nobody pays for anything anymore.

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
to be fair...i don't know many people who would buy something when you can it free somewhere else..

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Isn't that why FACT was set up in the first place?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Isn't that why FACT was set up in the first place?
I suppose. some of the stuff in there though I think it way too sophisticated. It suppresses business opportunities. But hey, most of the postings can from knowledge that's already been had by others, so why not offer it for free? Like I have said before, if it has no market value for you, it might as well be put to good use! It's a lot better than simply forgetting it, right?

It's too bad that so many people are on different pages with their knowledge. This really allows large companies and experts to take business opportunities away from the less knowledgeable.

Local time
I'm not sure that people would bother looking before they ask their cookie cutter questions anyway. You know, people would do well to just go through the Microsoft Office tutorials before they even begin (I did). That would eliminate 50% of the stuff we see on here daily. But that is a free, and very helpful, service and it is mostly ignored by most of those who post here.

Another thing that baffles me is that the first thing somebody wants to do when they open Access is start writing VBA code. I once delivered a whole project (that is working to this day) without writing the first line of VBA (no cheating using Macros, either). This is because I spent time figuring out the design of the system first and then the forms just fell into place. Many times, the code I see is to overcome a bad table design.

The reason I point that out is, people don't think there's anything wrong with their design and thus won't look at a tutorial that explains how to do proper normalized design. I've written at least 5 threads on this site that explain the design process and I'm pretty sure that even the OPs of those threads didn't even read them. I know the VIPs read them because I got a lot of jellies from them. I just don't think that people who are in a hurry (everybody) are gonna go looking for the real solution to their problem. In fact, I'm thinking most of them just want the answer handed to them.

And our demo databases here show how to do almost everything that you could possibly want to know how to do.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
George,

its because of what you said that I would not lend a hand in doing this type of work for other people unless the site owner paid me to do it. it's not worth the time otherwise.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
chergh,

it wouldn't be worth it for me to write it anyway. my views are too neutral and common sense driven. it would be more of an explanation rather than a money maker. and plus, people like you that can't stand my presence wouldn't take too fondly of it.

and lets not forget Rich, who obviously doesn't understand that I don't know the difference between a Republican and a Democrat, other than the fact that one is a donkey and the other and elephant. Oh wait...there is something else...neither side represents common sense.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
chergh,

it wouldn't be worth it for me to write it anyway. my views are too neutral and common sense driven. it would be more of an explanation rather than a money maker. and plus, people like you that can't stand my presence wouldn't take too fondly of it.

and lets not forget Rich, who obviously doesn't understand that I don't know the difference between a Republican and a Democrat, other than the fact that one is a donkey and the other and elephant. Oh wait...there is something else...neither side represents common sense.

You seem to be intoxicated with the exuberance of your own ability, oh and by the way it's a Democrat who's now having to clean up the mess left by the Republican chimp

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 06:31
That was informative.

People use forums because it's like talking to a live person. If you don't know what your looking for, it's sometimes very hard to find the answers.

Over the years I’ve bought and read many books on technologies. I also bought the video tapes from AppDev, years ago and spent many more years looking up stuff on MS Tech.

And still, I ask a question here, and Low and behold, someone was just working on that very problem last week.

chergh

blah
Local time
chergh,

Your posts remind me of the Chewbacca Defense

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom