JON - Can we do this? (1 Viewer)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 02:45
Jon -

Would it be possible to have a setting in the software to limit signatures to only those with 10 posts or more? I know of one site which I think uses vBulletin software which has it set to 30 posts and 30 days on the board. That basically eliminates all of the people who keep registering here to put links in their signatures and never post. They just want search engine material. Can you check that out? I think it would help with the maintenance of the site as well.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 04:45
Jon -

Would it be possible to have a setting in the software to limit signatures to only those with 10 posts or more? I know of one site which I think uses vBulletin software which has it set to 30 posts and 30 days on the board. That basically eliminates all of the people who keep registering here to put links in their signatures and never post. They just want search engine material. Can you check that out? I think it would help with the maintenance of the site as well.

I think it already does that.... I have seen several posts with something that says "NO URLS ALLOWED IN SIGNATURES UNLESS 10 POSTS OR MORE" or something to that effect.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I think it already does that.... I have seen several posts with something that says "NO URLS ALLOWED IN SIGNATURES UNLESS 10 POSTS OR MORE" or something to that effect.

No it doesn't do that. I do that - manually. :)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
What I'm thinking of is that the signature part doesn't even show up in the user's control panel until they meet the criteria. That is how it is done at several sites I've seen and it works great for keeping some of the bad stuff out. I know one of them doesn't even allow links (and somehow it does it) until you have 30 posts and 30 days on the board. I think that pretty much takes care of 95% of the spam and anything else is taken care of by the mods.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Jon?? Any possibility?? It would really help out...

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:45
It would be really useful for you guys. You posted this in April, surely Jon logs in once in a while.

G81

Registered User.
Local time
Never used vbulletin before but you should be able to set an auto promotion to a different usergroup at 10 posts. Then disable the signature for the new usergroup.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Never used vbulletin before but you should be able to set an auto promotion to a different usergroup at 10 posts. Then disable the signature for the new usergroup.

I would think so, but unfortunately only JON has the abiilty to do that. So we have to wait for him.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:45
what else does jon do for a living?

I have no idea, but I have to assume that like most of the rest of us, he has a full time job or a full time contract and volunteers his time online here whenever he is able?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Good idea ghudson. There were actually two I reported this morning, could easily have been more.

Seems only Jon can effect those changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom