Created by & modfied by (1 Viewer)

Ossama22

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:54
Hello guys ,

Iam just wanna to know if there any VB code can help me with the below :
I have a database shared with my team (8 users) each one have his own username and password , is there any option to add a tool helps me to know this record created by which user , also if it modfied can i knwo it modfied by which one too .
Thx for your support

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 13:54
Yeah u betcha when u add a new record you just wanna handle the BeforeInsert event, and update the fields yur talking about, like....
Code:
Private Sub Form_BeforeInsert(Cancel as Integer)
   Me.Username = [COLOR="Blue"]< the username of the current user >[/COLOR]
End Sub
So u can see you just wanna replace that bit in blue with the current user's actual username.
Makes a lotta sense?
Mark

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 13:54
Oh yeah, an' sorry 'bout not sayin' how u wanna do the update part, like...
Code:
Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
   Me.UpdatedBy =[COLOR="Blue"] < the username of the current user >[/COLOR]
End Sub
So u can see it wurks in a lotta ways the same. :)
Mark

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:54
Ossama22 - the first question is not HOW, but WHAT you want to do. IF all you want is the name, date, and update/insert - then putting an event routine for BeforeInsert and BeforeUpdate would work. However, this leads to questions like:

Do you only want to know who inserted it and who LAST updated it? Or do you want a bit more detailed history like - every time it was updated? What about a record deletion (if you allow that at all)?

People sometimes use a separate table to make an audit log. You can search this forum for the word "auditing" and the phrase "audit log" to see MANY articles on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom