Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 09-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
kobiashi
Newly Registered User

kobiashi is on a distinguished road
insert default value in sql union query

hi

i am trying to insert a default value in my SQL union script, but it doesnt seem to like what im using, please can some one take a look and let me know if im using the wrong method please, so below is the first part of the union query and where im trying to insert the default value:

Code:
SELECT SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.MCUDate, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.Table_DropdownLists.ListName, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.RSAttention_IDFK, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.EntryType_IDFK, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.MaximoStatus_IDFK, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.MCUTime, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.ServiceRemoval_IDFK, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.Title, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.MaximoNumber, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.WorkType, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.Table_DropdownLists_2.ListName, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.Table_DropdownLists_3.ListName, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.Table_DropdownLists_4.ListName, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.Table_Vehicles.VehicleNumber, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.Table_Vehicles_1.VehicleNumber, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.Table_Vehicles_2.VehicleNumber, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.Table_Vehicles_3.VehicleNumber, SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.Consist,
ISNULL([SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.InServiceEntryType], 'AfterAMPeak') AS SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.InServiceEntryType
FROM SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak
UNION ALL
this is what i was using

Code:
ISNULL([SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.InServiceEntryType], 'AfterAMPeak') AS SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.InServiceEntryType

im trying to union multiple select queries, im not sure if that makes a difference.

kobiashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 3,824 Times in 3,767 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold
Re: insert default value in sql union query

IsNull() is a test for Null, not a replacement. I suspect you want the Nz() function. I'd also just alias with a name, not with the query first:

Nz(...) As InServiceEntryType

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
kobiashi
Newly Registered User

kobiashi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
IsNull() is a test for Null, not a replacement. I suspect you want the Nz() function. I'd also just alias with a name, not with the query first:

Nz(...) As InServiceEntryType
Awsome, worked a treat, thank you.

kobiashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 3,824 Times in 3,767 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Happy to help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,330 Posts
Pat Hartman is a glorious beacon of light Pat Hartman is a glorious beacon of light Pat Hartman is a glorious beacon of light Pat Hartman is a glorious beacon of light Pat Hartman is a glorious beacon of light Pat Hartman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
it doesn't seem to like what im using
Telling us the error message or result that you thought was incorrect would have been oh so much more helpful.

for this simple case, the Nz() offered by pbaldy is a better choice (and fixed your syntax problems) but there is nothing inherently wrong with using IsNull() INSIDE an IIf() to substitute a value. HOWEVER, the other problem was with the alias:

as SubQuery_ENG_MCU_InServiceIssues_AfterAMPeak.InSer viceEntryType

1. You have to provide a way to use the result of the IsNull() so valid syntax would be:
IIf(IsNull(yourfield), "replacementvalue", yourfield) As newname. When you use an IIf() best practice always uses complete syntax so you provide a result for the true condition and also the false condition.
2. You can't qualify the alias with a table or query name. It doesn't make any sense
3. You can't alias a fieldname with it's original name. Although SQL Server does allow this, Access does not)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: