Memo retention problem on a form in Access 2007 (1 Viewer)

Punice

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:52
I have a memo that I want a user to be able to 'show/hide', when a user opens it again to enter a new record's data or to view the memo for all older forms containing data.
I can show & hide the memo using a control on the form to toggle the 'visibe' property with vba.

Not knowing any better, I listed the memo in the same table as the form's record source. The execution of that control shows & hides the memo per the code for the form where, I guess I created it. When I open a new form or view any previously filled form all I get when I operate the control to show the memo is a blank field.

I am not clear on what I need to do or where to store the memo. And, the size of the memo is over 255 characters.

Spent several weeks trying, as well as, looking for guidance on the 'Net, before coming back to this forum for help (again), but all I could find are discussions pertaining to data type and nothing to really help me solve my problem.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:52
Hi. Not sure I'm clear as to what you're trying to do. Is this "memo" something the user will enter or modify? If not, and it's a permanent part of the form, then why not just use a label? Either that, or if the same memo applies to multiple forms, you could store it in its own table and use DLookup() to display it on a form.

Punice

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:52
The db is for truckers to use to keep track of the travel records. I wanted them to have, at hand, a control to enable them to call-up some instructions, when they aren't sure what to do. I have several of these 'help buttons' on the form for them to use. That's why I want to be able to hide them. They use laptops and don't have a lot of screen space available.

I will try the 'label' suggestion. Don't know if I can 'show/hide' it, but will find out tomorrow.

Thanks for you help.

Punice:)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The db is for truckers to use to keep track of the travel records. I wanted them to have, at hand, a control to enable them to call-up some instructions, when they aren't sure what to do. I have several of these 'help buttons' on the form for them to use. That's why I want to be able to hide them. They use laptops and don't have a lot of screen space available.

I will try the 'label' suggestion. Don't know if I can 'show/hide' it, but will find out tomorrow.

Thanks for you help.

Punice:)
Hi. In that case, I would suggest using a popup form instead. It won't occupy any space on the current form and the user can move it out of the way without closing it.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
I'd second theDBGuy's suggestion.

You'd have a separate table that holds "Help ID" and your memo field.
You can then use a form, passing it Help ID, to have it display the memo you need for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom