Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Theory and practice of database design

Old 08-22-2019, 01:53 AM   #16
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,646 Times in 3,516 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light
Re: has anyone built their own font?

@Doc. I've looked as using textboxes, but the issue is they need to move around horizontally which won't work in a continuous form or report.

The basis I'm using at the moment uses a richtext field populated with spaces and code then changes the backcolor and characters where required. The characterset is monospace so the width of each character represents a period of time. Since a long text field can hold around 65k characters, that should be more than enough. not tested in detail yet but zooming can be achieved by changing the font size and adjusting the control and detail heights accordingly.

Using monospace it's a bit like the screen mapping on the original monitors - 40 or 80 columns x 24 rows.

The line calculations are not too difficult - I calculate top/left coordinates for the end of the dependant task and bottom/right for the start of the next task based or row and column numbers.

@Maj - Micron suggested the same thing and I will take a look, but this project is just personal for me at the moment for a building project, the data all works, I just wanted a quick way to get a visual impression of what the project looks like and don't really have the time at the moment - but there is a bank holiday coming up!

The original issue was around removing the space at the top of the font which can't be done - even with my own design of font.

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:02 AM   #17
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,526 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: has anyone built their own font?

Actually, MajP, I wasn't mentioning it as something I would have done - but who is to say how much work anyone is willing to do to get a job done? I tossed out an idea to be taken or shot down with no expectations either way.

I'll mention another way I have tried via experiment to do family tree diagrams. Don't try to use Excel's "TextArt" feature. From the manual interface, it is OK. From VBA, sucks big-time because you have no clarity of how to control child objects. Tends to crash EXCEL a lot, too!

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: