Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Theory and practice of database design

Old 08-31-2019, 08:14 AM   #16
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,649 Times in 3,519 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Best practices Forms/Reports record source

my practice is to build my sql for each form using a function to dynamically build and return a recordset to assign to the form/report. Depending on the requirement, the 'hardcoded' part is usually stored in a table, or occasionally hardcoded in VBA.

The benefit for me is I can return a dao or ado recordset or even a stored procedure from sql server simply by changing a setting.

By storing the sql in a table (long text), I can also set it out in an easily readable layout with richtext formatting and notation, apply security parameters, etc. - the function removes notation and converts to plaintext

I do occasionally have queries in the back end - much like a view - which users of other apps such as excel might need to download without having to know the structure/relationships of the tables.

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #17
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,859 Times in 2,604 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micron View Post
I presume that if the db is an accde or mde, you need to go back to the master to change either a query or code
No. You can change the design of both queries and tables in an ACCDE file and I see no reason why that would be different in an MDE. You can also view the query object properties.

Obviously you can't view or change code in a ACCDE/MDE

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #18
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,498 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

I've been using SQL since the early 80's. At that time, all SQL was embedded in my COBOL application. I used to dream of a tool that would remove the tedium of writing embedded SQL. The QBE was one of the real selling points of Access when I discovered it in the early 90's. I don't think it is a challenge or even remotely interesting to have to type SQL when I can point and click to create joins and select columns. I never have to worry about how anything is spelled. Maybe if all you ever work on is one database at a time that you created you can keep all the names in short term storage in your brain so you never have to think about what you are typing but I am a consultant. I am working on a dozen projects at one time for different clients and some of the time, I don't have control over the naming standards so names don't just roll off my fingertips as I type.

As others have mentioned, I also use select queries in multiple places. Frequently we have forms and reports that display the same data. Why reinvent the wheel? They both use the same query. In some cases, calculations are needed. For these, I create base queries that other queries use rather than the underlying tables. That way, the sales price is always calculated the same way and the full name is always concatenated the same way and if I ever have to make a change to one of these calculations, I only have to do it once. If you've spread the calculations and SQL out over dozens of forms/reports, you'll be searching and changing all instances.

Yes, it is a personal choice whether to keep the SQL string in the form's code or as a querydef but "professionals" don't waste their time typing if they don't have to.

And just to be complete, I complain to MS at least once per year to fix the d*** SQL editor to stop reformatting my code because when I have to switch to SQL view, I too hate the mushing they do as well as their obsession with multiple parentheses. I understand why they do it. I just want them to keep their own copy of the SQL so they don't have to mess up mine. And while I'm at it, I also ask for the ability to embed comments in the SQL string.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #19
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,096 Times in 1,077 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hartman View Post
I also ask for the ability to embed comments in the SQL string.
I'd vote for that!

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: