Access 2007 subdatasheet form to Visual Studio 2015 VB Windows Form App (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:10
From the image you show I think you are showing me a table with sub tables sat on top? If that's the case then you are not really showing me Access functionality, it's the tables. What I mean is, you wouldn't present your user with that. You would present your user with a form and subforms.

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:10
No, they are indeed forms with subforms. I've attached a sample database showing this functionality. Yes, there's a table and sub-table, but that's not how I'm allowing the end user to interact with the data.

I've also attached a snippet of a more dignified example that we're currently using in our live systems.

Attachments

• TestQuote.accdb
    2 MB · Views: 325
  • AnotherExample.PNG
    AnotherExample.PNG
    36.7 KB · Views: 347

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
Anyone else have any suggestions for this?

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:10
The solution you provided is a datasheet form as the main form and then a continuous form as the subform. vb.net does not have sub forms as such.

If you have the budget then you could use a 3rd party tool such as flexgrid (approx $900 for the activex version) which gives you mind-blowing opportunities, not least the one you ask for:
http://our.componentone.com/2015/09/16/nested-flexgrid-how-to-display-master-detail-data-in-mvc/

Also look here which looks like what you are after:
http://www.codeproject.com/Tips/835501/Master-Detail-Datagridview

Also here for info:
http://10tec.com/articles/datagridview-grouping-two-recipes.aspx

hth
Chris

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the info Chris!

I think the second link you supplied is the best direction indeed for me to take. Now, I just need to make this editable... should be fairly straightforward right (currently searching as I post this)?

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
Just following up with this as it's been almost two months since my last post, noticing this forum post has gathered lots of views too.

Anyone make any headway on an editable master detail datagridview? If I can make this editable, this will propel my current VS research project forward. Otherwise, it will put a major stall in it and might not be fully achievable in a vb.net windows form app.

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Today, 13:10
SkyCraw,
Did you resolve this? I'm starting to feel like VB.NET just isn't worth the extra effort....

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
Not yet, thanks for asking though GBalcom.

Is there any other programming language/assembly/reference I can incorporate (without monetary investment) that would allow me to have this functionality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom