Timer Comparison Tests (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:14
Over the years, I have used various functions to measure time intervals: Timer, GetSystemTime, GetTickCount.

Each of these can give times to millisecond precision though I normally round to 2 d.p. (centiseconds).
This is because each function is based on the system clock which is normally updated 64 times per second – approximately every 0.0156 seconds

When I started my series of speed comparison tests, I initially used the GetSystemTime function.
However, some occasional inconsistencies led me to revert to the very simple Timer function.

Recently I was alerted to the timeGetTime API by UA member ADezii with these comments taken from the Access 2000 Developers Handbook pg 1135-1136:
If you're interested in measuring elapsed times in your Access Application, you're much better off using the timeGetTime() API Function instead of the Timer() VBA Function. There are 4 major reasons for this decision:
1. timeGetTime() is more accurate. The Timer() Function measure time in 'seconds' since Midnight in a single-precision floating-point value, and is not terribly accurate. timeGetTime() returns the number of 'milliseconds' that have elapsed since Windows has started and is very accurate.
2. timeGetTime() runs longer without 'rolling over'. Timer() rolls over every 24 hours. timeGetTime() keeps on ticking for up to 49 days before it resets the returned tick count to 0.
3. Calling timeGetTime() is significantly faster than calling Timer().
4. Calling timeGetTime() is no more complex than calling Timer(), once you've included the proper API declaration

Part of this comment is no longer accurate in that the Timer function can measure to milliseconds.
However, as I had never used the timeGetTime API, I decided to compare the results obtained using each of the methods using two simple tests:
• Looping through a simple square root calculation repeatedly (20000000 times)
• Measuring the time interval after a specified time delay setup using the Sleep API (1.575 s)

I also added a Stopwatch class to the timer comparison tests (again thanks to ADezii for this code)

Obviously, as with any timer tests, other factors such as background windows processes, and overall CPU load will lead to some natural variation. To minimise the effects of those, I avoided running any other applications at the same time and ran each test 10 times. Furthermore, the test order was randomised each time ... just in case. The average times were calculated along with the minimum/maximum times and standard deviation for each test.

As the results are all based on the system clock, I expected the results to be similar in each case.
However, it seemed reasonable that certain functions would be more efficient to process

For these tests, the main requirement is certainly not to determine which gives the smallest time.
Here the aim is to achieve consistency so that repeated tests should provide a small standard deviation

These are the summary results from one PC:

The full results are in the attached PDF.
This is a summary of my conclusions from the PDF:

Overall, I would suggest that both Timer and TimeGetTime are reliable. Each had minimal variation compared to the other methods
Bearing in mind that the Timer function is based on the time elapsed since midnight whereas timeGetTime runs for 49 days before resetting, timeGetTime should definitely be used if the timing tests are likely to cross midnight or last longer than 24 hours.

However, for smaller time intervals on a reasonably powerful PC, I don’t think there is much advantage in one method compared to the other

Stopwatch class works well but requires additional code compared to the Timer or TimeGetTime methods
GetTickCount is satisfactory but perhaps not as reliable as other methods
GetSystemTime has greater variation and occasionally has spurious results - overall it is unreliable and should not be used

NOTE: The utility also includes code to obtain system info - mainly using WMI - this is useful for benchmarking

I hope this is useful to others .... if only so you don't need to run the tests yourself !!!

Attachments

• AvgResultsTestA.PNG
    AvgResultsTestA.PNG
    14.3 KB · Views: 533
  • AvgResultsTestB.PNG
    AvgResultsTestB.PNG
    14.4 KB · Views: 565
  • SysInfo.PNG
    SysInfo.PNG
    19 KB · Views: 541
  • TimerComparisonTests v1.3.zip
    265.5 KB · Views: 254
  • TimerComparisonTestsPDF.zip
    358 KB · Views: 225

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:14
I've updated my timer comparison test utility & tidied up the code in doing so.

The utility now includes code to compare 6 different approaches:
Timer VBA – number of seconds since midnight but to millisecond resolution
GetSystemTime API – current system date and time expressed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
GetTickCount API – number of milliseconds that have elapsed since the system was started (up to 49.7 days)
timeGetTime API – same calculation as GetTickCount but using a different API
Stopwatch class API - a set of methods and properties to accurately measure elapsed time.
High Resolution Timer API – able to measure to less than one microsecond resolution

Many thanks to UA member ADezii both for triggering me to do this comparison study & for providing the Stopwatch & High Resolution Timer code

I've also fixed an issue with the GetCurrentSystemTime function that was causing it to occasionally give spurious results.

These are my updated conclusions:
=============================================
All methods are reasonably reliable with minimal variation. Two of the simplest methods (Timer and timeGetTime) were just as consistent and at times better than the other approaches

Stopwatch class works well but requires additional code compared to the Timer or TimeGetTime methods
GetTickCount is satisfactory but perhaps not as reliable as other methods
GetSystemTime uses a combination of the Timer function & SystemTime API. As it is no better than other methods, using a combined approach such as this, is probably not the best solution.

The high resolution timer operates with a level of precision far greater than is needed for speed comparison tests.
However, the standard deviation is far smaller than using the other methods which seems to make it more reliable in my view.
The second test using a specified time delay also seems to indicate the test itself runs faster so is likely to be closer to the actual time taken as distinct from that measured.

Even so, for most of the tests, the variation between methods wasn’t significant enough to make any of the approaches stand out as a clear ‘winner’.

As a result, I suggest using either Timer or TimeGetTime unless you really need more precision than milliseconds

Bearing in mind that the Timer function is based on the time elapsed since midnight whereas timeGetTime runs for 49 days before resetting, timeGetTime should be used if the timing tests are likely to cross midnight or last longer than 24 hours.

However, for smaller time intervals on a reasonably powerful PC, I don’t think there is much advantage in one method compared to the other.
In any case, the code based on the Timer function allows for one ‘round midnight’ error with a simple correction

=============================================

For more details and all my test results, see the attached PDF or this extended article on my website: Timer Comparison Tests

Attachments

• TimerComparisonTests v1.6.zip
    335.8 KB · Views: 280
  • TimerComparisonTests PDF.zip
    618.3 KB · Views: 250
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom