Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > Introduce Yourself

Old 11-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #1
EzGoingKev
Newly Registered User

EzGoingKev is on a distinguished road
Hello

Hello all.

I have lurked around for a while using Google searches. I figured I would finally set up an account.

I currently work in the automotive industry. Aftermarket auto parts to be exact. I work with data files.

I build data files that tell you what applications x part fits. I am constantly building data into different formats so that it can be loaded into somebody's system or to compare against another data set.

Not a lot is plug and play. Everyone's data is a little different requiring manipulation to get it to work.

I am pretty much self taught. I will build the data set in Access and then work with it in Excel.

Any help that I receive here is greatly appreciated.

EzGoingKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,444 Times in 1,425 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hello

Hi. Welcome to AWF!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,978 Posts
jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum Kev!

jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,124 Times in 4,056 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Welcome aboard! My employer has an in-house repair facility and one of my apps tracks parts, so I have a teeny bit of familiarity with the subject. Good luck with your projects.

pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
EzGoingKev
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
Welcome aboard! My employer has an in-house repair facility and one of my apps tracks parts, so I have a teeny bit of familiarity with the subject. Good luck with your projects.
Thanks.

The stuff I do is mostly what fits what and then a lot of updating and QC'ing the data.

I was a mechanic for a long time until I got hurt. Then I moved into an office. I was amazed at all the stuff that goes on in the background to sell auto parts.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Is that type of data publicly available? I try to validate when they issue parts to a vehicle that the part fits that vehicle, but I have to maintain a table with that data.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #7
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,587 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Welcome, Kev. Glad you chose to join with us.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:56 AM   #8
EzGoingKev
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Is that type of data publicly available? I try to validate when they issue parts to a vehicle that the part fits that vehicle, but I have to maintain a table with that data.
Are you talking about OE parts, aftermarket parts, or a mix of both?
Old 11-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #9
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
Are you talking about OE parts, aftermarket parts, or a mix of both?
I think both. I'm just the lowly IT guy.

We're a transportation company: limos, taxis, and buses.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
EzGoingKev
Newly Registered User

Quote:
I think both. I'm just the lowly IT guy.

We're a transportation company: limos, taxis, and buses.
For the aftermarket parts I would suggest either the parts manufacturer's site or using Show Me The Parts online catalog interface. There is an option there to search by part number. Possibly a combination of both.

Also the big box stores usually have what else this part fits section.

For OE parts there are a lot of dealers that are selling parts online. Some of the sites are good and some are not so good to use a fitment resource.

Anything beyond that you are looking at purchasing OE data and that is pricey.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #11
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanks, I appreciate your advice!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: