Programmer and CPA from Canada (1 Viewer)

bluenote

Local time
Today, 14:36
Hi Everyone,

I am a CPA and financial analyst from Canada.

More than a decade ago I went through a fairly rigorous 3 year computer programming college diploma. I spent a lot of time learning computer programming concepts (data structures, algorithms, operating systems, languages etc..). I gravitated toward VB, because it was easy to use and could build useful programs quickly. I ended up using VB as a front end (ADO IIRC) to an MS Access DB as part of my final project.

I eventually went into financial work but keep falling into technology projects (typically VBA/Macros, excel and access) in my work because I enjoy them and I am better at them than most of the financial wonks I work with.

I am currently developing an application, MS Access based, that will be used by about 3 people to automate some sales reporting tasks that take days and days to do by hand right now. It's exciting and very fulfilling to turn that into an hour or two of work that is done far more accurately and precisely than before. Access is a really amazing tool for problems like this because nobody wants to spend money on a more expensive solution for something that will only partially affect the work of 3 people when Access can do such a good job with a positive ROI almost guaranteed.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 13:36
Access is a really amazing tool for problems like this because nobody wants to spend money on a more expensive solution for something that will only partially affect the work of 3 people when Access can do such a good job with a positive ROI almost guaranteed.
that's EXACTLY why all my small business owner clients ask for access apps! welcome to the place bud.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:36
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:36
It is a lesson that all too many people fail to learn. Pay me now or pay me later. Pay me now for the work to automate tedious, error-prone manual processes, or pay the salaries of too many clerks to do a job more slowly and not as accurately. Not only can a machine do the math, but if there is staging or another similar action to consider, a computer can do it. You appear to have some insight into that lesson already, which gives you an advantage over those who just don't get it.

Welcome, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom