New to this site.. not new new to access, but need some help now and then (1 Viewer)

Turps

Local time
Yesterday, 22:10
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and previously posted one question which was immediately answered by Dbguy.
He solved my problem after being stuck on it for quite some time.

I am developing some tools for construction project management. In particular, I am building an access database for tracking project process and progress.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:10
Hi. Once again, welcome to AWF!

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 21:10
I am developing some tools for construction project management. In particular, I am building an access database for tracking project process and progress.
i'm not dissing access, but have you tried MS project as well? I believe that's much more complex to work with, but it's got a UI that's ready to go as soon as you open it I believe. by the way, welcome back too.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
If your tools are going produce information that's more visual, I'd agree that Access may not be the ideal application for that or time management. Excel (charting) M$ Project (as Adam mentioned) might be better, depending on the required inputs and outputs. There are also a ton of off-the-shelf applications for time management. Access would be fine for data management, plus you could integrate Excel for charting. Some will disagree, but I think Access and charts go together like water and electricity. You can do it, but the results might be shockingly disappointing.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Micron, if you weren't at least partly right I'd step in and have a word or two. But sadly, some years ago the interface to MS Chart become considerably more complex for Access, though Excel still isn't too bad about charting. Still, let's not give our new user a bad idea about something that DOES work with a little patience.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Let's hold that tongue lashing for another time, OK? ;)

After all, I did say it was disappointing, not impossible. I have created some fairly complex Excel charts in my day and did so a LOT easier than I could make a basic pie chart that consistently rendered properly in Access. Once I left Access charts, I never went back. Maybe I'm out of touch with what it can do these days.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
some years ago the interface to MS Chart become considerably more complex for Access
i had so many issues and bugs come up using ms chart that I gave up on it real quick. I also read many articles and posts back in those days about plenty of other people who were fed up with it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Like I said, I would have intervened if Micron wasn't right in what he said. But (sadly) he is spot-on. When I was working with the Navy, I had occasion to present graphs regarding certain performance or capacity issues. After doing some other types of data-mashing with Access, I eventually turned to Excel's chart abilities. Not because I couldn't do it within Access, but because exporting to Excel and charting from there was faster and not by just a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom