Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Modules & VBA

Old 11-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
TxStrob
Newly Registered User

TxStrob is on a distinguished road
Variable not defined

I am getting variable not defined, with this Form_Subform_Example1.txtbox2 = 3. I am trying point to a textbox on a subform from the main form. It highlights 3. What are some possible solutions or examples?

TxStrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
June7
AWF VIP

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough
Re: Variable not defined

What is subform container name? I always name container different from object it holds, like ctrEx.

Is subform name Example1?

Syntax behind main form would be like: Me.subformcontainername!txtbox2
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,592 Times in 1,512 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

When using the "Form_" syntax from anywhere, you MUST include the entire path starting with the main form.

When you are in the "parent" form for the subform, you should use the Me.mysubform.Form!controlname syntax.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #4
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,260 Times in 1,241 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Hi. It highlights the 3 or the entire line? What is the name of the Textbox you're trying to point to. I don't normally use the Form_ syntax because it points to the Class Object. Rather, I often just use the Forms! syntax.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:50 AM   #5
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,499 Times in 1,414 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hartman View Post
When using the "Form_" syntax from anywhere, you MUST include the entire path starting with the main form.
Form_formname should never be used to refer to a form. Refer to a form via the Forms Collection. Using Form_ often works but it is inviting trouble.

Always use Forms!formname or Forms("formname") unless you are directly referring to it from its Parent or one of its Members.

Contrary to a unfortunately too common belief, Form_ isn't just another syntactical variation of the Forms Collection but a reference to the form object via its Module. (You can verify this by referring to a form that does not have a Module. It will return an error, "External Name not defined".)

Moreover, if the Form is not already loaded to the Forms Collection, a hidden instance will load. This can lead to unexpected results.

Of course, if the Form referred to is already loaded as a subform, the Form_ reference will not return that subform but instead load a hidden instance completely separate from the subform.

BTW You can check if a Form is loaded by testing its IsLoaded Property via the AllForms Collection.
Code:
CurrentProject.AllForms("formname").IsLoaded
This will return True if the form is an item in the Forms Collection. It will return False if an instance is not loaded or is loaded as a subform.

Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: