Ms Access for Multiple Users (1 Viewer)

zul336

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:39
Hi All,

I recently created a database which is running perfectly fine on Stand alone environment and behaving exactly the way i want it to. I created this database for a team of about 50 people who will be using it simultaneously.

I recently test run the database with 15 people using it the way they should be and came across few problems. It keep giving me "Record locked by other users" error. I have tried my best to resolve it. Below are the steps which I have already taken.

1. Changed the record type to Edit Records.

2. Splited the database and everyone is using it from own desktop copy.

3. Re-designed the database in such a way they conflict of 2 people working on same record is down to zero.

All this have helped reduced the error in term of how often its happening but its still happening. A little back ground of what database is actually doing. We got this huge Master Table which is storing all the records. each record is assign to each user. In form design each user is clicking on their own name and via macro its displaying records one by one associated to them. The main field which is showing the error is when they select the result type from a Combo box which is saving it into Result field in master Copy. All users are working on records directly from Master Table. After taking all above mention steps if we wait for 10 to 30 seconds after clicking ok on record we can save it but its not looking good on presentation when i will be presenting database to management.

I read into ADO Database record optimization levels but even though I tried my best to find how to setup ADO database type I am still nowhere with it. Can anyone guide me how to setup ADO from scratch or how to fix above record lock issues.

It will be a very big help and I will consider that as a X-Max present from all of you.

Regards

Zul

zul336

Registered User.
Local time
Hiya,

Thanks for your reply but I am completely lost, can you be kind enough to explain me how it works. I am completely lost here.:confused:

Millah

Registered User.
Local time
Sounds like you have two users trying to modify the same record at the same time. Make sure your application is closing the record that it is on before it moves to the next.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:39
I read your post abnd cannot determine if your database has been split or not. Your symptoms are classic for an non-split Access 2000-2003 database where all users are sharing the same file (I belive that this also applies to Access 2007 and 2010). The proper configuration for you would be a split database with a copy of the front end for each user, and a shared back end in a location that all users have access to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom